“Recommended by Locals but.....”

Spice Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #9 of 23 Restaurants in Falmouth
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

One of the local venders recommened we ate at Spice Kitchen, since that's where he would get lunch. We were literally the only customers in the restaurant the entire time we were eating, but still the service took forever; the staff was clearly on island time. I got the Jerk Pork, which was delicious and tender. My Mother got the Jerk Chicken, which had multiple huge bones in it, when the cook cut the meat he just cut the bones into smaller pieces which made it near impossible to pick them all out. The sauce came on the side, most likely from a bottle and the fried plantains clearly came from a bag. The price? GROSSLY overpriced. This meal should have been maybe $8 a piece, but the cost was over $15 a plate. Our total plus tip no drinks, came to $40. Overall, a decent meal but overpriced.

1  Thank TheTwinsTravel

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

THIS IS A WARNING TO CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS...DO NOT EAT HERE!!!! VERY DECEPTIVE!!

We normally do not post bad reviews because we are small business owners. However this experience demanded sharing.

Think "shell game", "three-card monte", "pigeon drop" or any other manner of deception, and you still have not reached the level that this establishment stoops to in order to get U.S. dollars.

Imagine being given a menu with one set of prices when you enter the restaurant and a different menu after receiving your invoice when you desire to validate the amount you have been billed. (Especially when that amount is double the amount you should have been billed based on the original menu.) Imagine being charged taxes in a tax free zone. Imagine being charged extra for the rum in your rum punch -- not extra rum, just rum.

You get the idea. STEER CLEAR!

1  Thank C C
Margaritaville C, General Manager at Spice Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately the island of Jamaica is not a tax-free zone, including the cruise ship port. We do have an island-wide tax of 16.5% added to all items purchased on the island, as specified on our menus. We apologize for any misunderstanding that these tax charges may have caused.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

We wanted to try some jerk chicken and Jamaican food so we gave this place a shot instead of Margaritaville. The street performers nearby were so loud that my wife and I could not talk. The for was overpriced and took forever to get. It was pretty dry, but luckily the sauce was tasty to help us choke it down. The sides were decent, but honestly the best part was the Red Stripe beer. I guess that's what we get for staying inside the cruise bubble and not venturing out to an authentic place.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

On the hunt for the mouth watering Jerk Chicken we came across this restaurant in the cruise port in Falmouth. The employee welcomed us in and was very quick to tell us what he would bring us to eat.

What I basically asked for was a piece of Jerk Chicken, that's all I wanted. He told us it included red beans, rice and plantains. What he didn't tell us was it was going to cost $20 for a tiny piece of chicken. When we got the bill we questioned him on it and he told us that's what it cost and that he "hooked us up, enough for all 5 of us to eat off one plate". Lies!!! The chicken was mostly all bone and to be short about it, it was truly enough for one person only.

I don't recommend this place to anyone unless you want to be ripped off by the locals. I did get my money back however after a not so nice exchange with the manager (which I am not proud of). I did offer to pay the $8.00 that I was quoted but she refused to accept the money. I felt ashamed and bad the whole way back to the ship and some time on board until I read other similar reviews and realized this is the common practice at Spice Kitchen.

DO NOT GO HERE!

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

Ordered the jerk chicken and pork with plantains. The pork was awesome. The chicken always also pretty good as well as the plantains. Worth a try for sure.