Lowest prices for your stay
US$56
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
All reviews function room christmas lunch bunk beds bar and restaurant big car park staff were very friendly the ground floor couldn't do enough pleasant stay mid week on duty visiting family one night stay nothing is too much trouble tucked away excellent value biscuits
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 May 2021

Great value for money. Staff were wonderful and super helpful. Hotel was different due to Covid but the staff adapted well, were very clear about instructions to keep it Covid safe and provided great breakfast to go bags.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Craig H
Julie Campbell, General Manager at Best Western The Cedars Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2021

Dear Craig, Thank you for taking the time in writing your review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2020

I have stayed in the Cedars more times than any other hotel anywhere. I used to work for the large corporation across the road and in spite of colleague's snobbery surrounding the hotel, I used to love it. I stayed recently for old time's sake with my wife having retired last year. It has changed hands. I checked the price on a hotel booking site and then called only to be quoted a much higher figure. I mentioned this and my quote was immediately discounted to the website price. The Covid 19 pandemic has been most unkind to this hotel and it has sadly gone downhill. A lot of the clientele are being paid for by the government (I was led to believe). I sincerely hope they can come through this pandemic and economic downturn and return this delightfully quaint and homely hotel to its former glory.

Date of stay: October 2020
1  Thank John M
Julie Campbell, General Manager at Best Western The Cedars Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2021

Dear John

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

We have been through difficult times but on a positive note we are still have plans to go ahead with the new build and refurbishment of Cedars Hotel. The Team have been going the extra mile throughout COVID which has hit the hospitality industry hard.

We do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2020

We arrived at the Cedars for an Anniversary meal and stay. Alarm bells rang when the car park was deserted and the whole place looked empty. However, Tina on Reception welcomed us warmly and quickly explained the hotel was due for a major re-development (witness plans on the wall) She offered to put us in 'superior' room 19. I asked if the Bar was still open and Sean said he would open it for us! There was no one about and I quickly learnt, apart from Sean & Tina, there was a chef and one housekeeper and I only ever saw 5 guests, 2 of whom were put there by the local council, The Restaurant had been closed for months and there was only a short menu available in the Bar. we said we would return at 7pm.
Superior room 19 was a shock! Although perfectly clean the mattress was 9 inches short of the divan and springs crunched as you lay on it. None of the radiators worked and there were patio doors leading to an overgrown garden and views of the past building works.
When we arrived for dinner there were 2 meals out of the six available with rice. I ordered the Chilli and rice. Poor Sean returned to tell me the chef had no rice!!
I said this was a Tricky review for me because I should give this hotel one star but Sean & Tina are doing such an excellent job in trying to keep customers coming in and satisfied while clearly this hotel is way past its sell by date,
I must add, I do understand the difficulty the Owners must face in deciding when to go ahead with the re -development in the present climate but how long can this hotel continue at this level?
I won't return until after the re-development........perhaps I'll be invited to the launch party?

Date of stay: October 2020
1  Thank Robin S

Dear Robin

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the delayed response regarding you stay at Cedars Hotel and would like to thank you for all your kind words and accolades for Tina & Shaun.

We have gone through very difficult times in the hospitality industry but on the positive side we are still running and we the owners will be still going ahead with the build in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 24 September 2020 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed here for a week whilst visiting family who live in Stowmarket and we would recommend this hotel.

We paid just over £260 for a twin room for whole week, which we felt was very good value for money at only £37 per night. The location is very good as it is a quiet area of the town but only a few minutes drive to the local Tesco and 5 minutes drive to the train station or high street. There are a number of restaurants/pubs, takeaways, supermarkets as well as high street and charity shops only a short drive away. For entertainment, the Museum of East Anglia Life and a small cinema are local. A car is certainly recommended as public transport links are poor though trains do go fairly regularly to Ipswich, Norwich, Cambridge, Peterborough and London and stations on those lines. There are many lovely places to visit within an hours drive which are not on a train or bus route.

Regarding the hotel, check in was reasonably quick and the staff were very hospitable and couldn't do enough for you.

The bedroom, whilst slightly dated, was very clean and tidy with a modern TV, and tea/coffee making facilities as well as free wifi. Unfortunately, due to covid-19, we did not have a daily cleaner but as we were there a week, they did come in mid-week to clean and replace the towels, and bed sheets etc. We were told that if we needed anything such as more coffee or replacement towels, we only had to ask and even though staff numbers were limited, we were always able to find someone either at reception or in the bar.

Foodwise, the hotel restaurant was closed due to covid, but there is a separate lounge bar which is open to the public as well as guests. The food here was very good and the staff great though it is a bit expensive for what is essentially pub food. We did have a very enjoyable evening here with family though. We didn't try the breakfast as we did feel £6 for a croissant and drink in a box was a bit steep, but the local pub, the Willow Tree, does some very nice, cheap breakfasts.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay and will stay here again when next in Stowmarket.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Campbell, General Manager at Best Western The Cedars Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2020

Dear Alex

Thank you for you lovely review in connection to your recent stay at Cedars Hotel. We now have a very small but dedicated Team who all read TripAdvisor Reviews, this will mean a great deal to them.

We were due to have a complete New Build this year which did start before Covid and we hope this will continue in Spring next year.

If you are planning another trip, do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed 20 September 2020

We've just returned from a 2 night stay at Cedars and had a marvellous time. We tend to have a weekend away in hotels every month or so and normally pay 3 or 4 times as much so were a little worried, especially after reading some of the reviews!
Any worries proved to be unfounded; we stayed in one of the superior rooms [Number 8] and it was more than adequate. We loved the beautiful beams and olde worlde feel of our room and it was tucked away so quite quiet. The only noise we heard was from the people above, mainly squeaky floorboards, which just goes with the character of the hotel.
The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, which is very reassuring in these uncertain times. Plenty of toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits and if you needed anything the staff were more than happy to supply it.
The staff were fantastic too, especially Tina and the lady on duty Saturday evening. Nothing is too much trouble and we would not hesitate to stay again.

Room tip: Room 8 is full of character
Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank Hatina

Dears Hatina

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Cedars Hotel.

Our extensive New Build & Refurbishment began before COVID, unfortunately, this has been delayed until next year.

Tina is a valued member of our small Team and I am delighted that you were well looked after.

We hope to see you again soon.