“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
Review of Castle Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
Dublin
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 February 2009

My advise to anyone with a little standard is to stay well away from this Hotel. As attending a wedding in the Castle and unable to get a room there I booked to stay here.
There was no lift, no assistance with bags and the carpet on the stairs was thread bare!! The room it self appeared OK at first as was in a rush to get to the wedding. However the following morning I was disgusted to what I saw in the daylight!!!! The phone was black with dirt, the bathroom had mildew on the window ledge, hair in the plug hole, the shower head was full of black grime, the lino was all stained etc. (would not even shower). The dining room had stained crockery and the tea pot was gross overall a real let own....check out the photos. How can it be called a hotel! It makes me wonder how bad things are in staff only areas!!!! Also the prices they charge is a cheek €130 per night, I've stayed in a lot of hotels in the past and this is deffinitley the worst.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank hols04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cornwall
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Great food, best Irish Coffee around, fantastic service & a good night's sleep - what more could you want!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cornish-Maid39
Cornwall,
Reviewed 15 February 2009

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at the Castle Arms and have to disagree with most of the other reviews! My three friends and I were given a very warm welcome by all the staff, the manager/proprietor and regular customers of the bar. We mixed in with all of them and were rewarded by being treated not only as paying quests but as friends.
The rooms were clean, airy, and more than adequate for a short but busy stay.
The hotels function rooms are magnificant, having attended a ball during our stay. That leads onto the food! That too was excellent. During our stay we sampled all of the a la carte menu, not one dish disappointed! The Irish breakfast was tailored to our individual needs, and was promptly served, piping hot and plentiful. Setting us up for an energetic day in the Laois countryside.
The hotels proximity to many interesting and historical places makes it an ideal base. 1.5 hours from Dublin, 30 minutes from Kilkenny, 45 minutes from The Curragh racecourse and the National Stud. Who could ask for more?
I hope to return again next year and know I will not be disappointed. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, all at the Castle Arms.

• Liked — Frienly atmosphere, good food and good craic!
  • Disliked — Close to a busy road, bit noisy at busy times of day.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cornishmaids
Cork
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Like the previous reviewer's I was staying at the Castle Arms Hotel while attending a wedding in Castle Durrow. I was quite apprehensive as I had read the reviews before booking and everywhere else had booked out. However contrary to the previous reviews I found the hotel to be quite charming, definitely clean and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — the very friendly and efficient staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Stayed here cause the nearby Castle Durrow was full. Paid €135 for a Double Room. Staying on the 3rd floor, no lift so had to struggle with my bags up narrow and uneven stairs. Room was freezing, no electric shower and the water came out of the handle!!! So couldnt have a shower. Given 2 keys to get back into the hotel that night, no night porter on.
Only 2 good things about this place: it is very close to Durrow Castle and the Breakfast was good.
I would never stay here again. I heard that the local B&B's are excellent.
I dont know how the Castle Arms gets away with charging those prices. Disgrace.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Most things
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank faughnan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrow
7.4 km away
36.0 km away
The Heritage Killenard
The Heritage Killenard
#1 of 1 in Killenard

Been to Castle Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!