See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2016

I think I left my heart on Isla Paridita... will you let me know if you find it? :)

We totally fell in love when we stayed on Isla Paridita. This place is the ultimate island adventure beyond any wild expectations. Bird-watching, taking in the awe of the plant life, fishing, snorkeling, hiking, relaxing-- true jungle paradise. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean in the open-air cabanas was also a dream. Everything feels like an adventure from morning coffee with a million-dollar view to sitting in the inner lagoon hut appreciating all of the island's wildlife and tropical plant life.

Grant (owner/guide/McGyver), his staff, and even the resident wildlife (we miss Lalo the puppy-like crocodile of the lagoons) were such a sweet addition to our trip. They were so welcoming + accommodating and made us feel like family. We are coming back and bringing more friends!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie Q
Reviewed 8 March 2015 via mobile

the island we stayed for 3-4 days. We met the owner (Grant) at this tiny village on the ocean but in the middle of nowhere which is where he docked his boat (The village was somewhat scary at first but turned out to be nothing to worry about), I think he would also pick you up in David if you worked it out with him. The boat ride to the island was ~45 minutes and a beautiful ride passing many islands along the way. Once we arrived a native family (Mother/Father and 3-4 kids, live on one side of the island and they are the caretakers of the island) met us and took our luggage to our huts. It is a 65 acre island that is mostly woods with 2 or 3 freshwater lakes, a brick trail takes you all over the island. It has 4 huts, each has its own shower, toilet and amazing view as well as a dining hut. The island has 4-5 beaches, some are black sand and some are white sand. The huts are open air with mosquito nets, everything is solar powered in the huts except they cook with gas, it is a little warm when you first lay down at night but the beds have a small fan which helps and by sometime in the middle of the night it cools down and you wake up in the morning with very comfortable temps. Each day you do whatever you want to do, just tell Grant. We went fishing in his boat a couple times, snorkeling, he took us to different small islands in the area to explore, we went kayaking on the ocean, paddle boarding, played games on the beach and did a lot of relaxing. Before we got to the island he asked what type of food we liked and I told him we wanted fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood from the area so that is what we had, he had a really sweet lady he hired that made all the meals and cleaned everything up. We drank either panama beer, water or a mixed drink that Grant made which was great. We went with two other friends so it was four of us in total and we were the only guest on the island (maximum of 8 guest on the island, 2 in each hut). Looking at going again next January/February. Crazy thing is, it is only $300 per couple per night and that includes everything (tax, food, drinks, transportation to the island, etc.). I couldn't say enough good things about Grant and the hospitality he provided us! I actually feel bad I didn't write this review earlier. If I was to give any advice is that it can be hard to get a hold of Grant, but what do you expect he is on a deserted island with probably little to no cell service, so give him a break he will get back to you. It's worth the wait :)

• Stayed: December 2014
4  Thank Ashley714
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The views from the bungalows were terrific, the buildings themselves were well done - great look! Meals were insanely good! It was great to go fishing,swim through the hole in the rock, kayak, hike and watch the sunset with a drink in hand!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Bayareafiona
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a really unique and special place. 3 things: 1.You have to want to get here as it's a challenge. If you're in Panama City you can rent a car and drive for 7 hours to Boca Chica (good luck with that) before the boat transfer. Or you can fly to David and get a car service to Boca Chica. If you are in David you can drive it in about an hour and there is parking at the pier in Boca Chica. 2. There is NO ELECTRICITY (everything is run on solar)- you will not be charging your Kindle or IPhone or laptop or camera so bring extra batteries. 3. You must love nature.

We were met at the pier by Grant, knower and provider of all things Isla Paridita and he took us the 12 miles across Chiriquí Bay to the island. Landing was on a gorgeous, sparkling black sand beach. Our luggage was placed in wheel barrows and disappeared. We were led to a path that looked like brick but is actually concrete with designs in it to keep you out of the mud and on firm footing as well as moving in the right direction. This path is very, very cool and takes you all over the island. It takes about 10 minutes to walk across the island to the cabana side. The jungle is more like a forest littered with palm trees and black and gray boulders and lizards and iguanas scurrying about and it is so beautiful.

We stayed at a beachfront cabana at the end of an off-shoot of the path. Loved, loved the cabanas. They're on stilts and the front porch hangs over the top of the beach. There are chairs and a hammock. No doors or windows or full walls. Wooden floors, bamboo walls, thatched roof. The stone shower is attached to the property but with walls low enough to look out at the jungle and empty beach.

It's a short walk to the bar/restaurant, past an outdoor shower where you can rinse off after a swim in the ocean. There's a communal table for meals and a small kitchen where Flor made the best coffee I've ever had in my life. Meals are good and Grant is prompt to offer Isla Paridita punch or a beer. And as promised there is ice available. Tons of fresh fruit for breakfast and fish is caught nearly daily. The well water is safe and delicious.

You can do as many activities as you want (fishing, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking) or simply be gob smacked at the intense beauty of the surroundings. The view changes constantly with the tide and it is dramatic. King crabs and iguanas come around for leftovers after dinner. Hermit crabs and small king crabs litter the path (watch your step as some will play chicken) and lizards dart around and scurry off into the underbrush.

It is simply stunning and we loved being here. Word of the week was Magnificent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank kimbo1010
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My wife and I visited Isla Paridita on our honeymoon in late May 2012. The rainy season was just beginning. It was fairly buggy - something we're told is not a problem outside of the rainy season - and it rained nearly every night. The island is beautiful. We had the beach wholly to ourselves. Snorkeling is available immediately on a rocky outcrop from the shore. There are excellent sunset views from a cliff just off the dining hut. Grant was also available to take us fishing or on excursions to other islands, island caves, or tidal pools on Isla Paridita. His wife's cooking was very, very good - best we had in Panama.

If I had one complaint, it was that sometimes when it rained at night, the water blew into the hut making for a less than steller sleep. Again, that wouldnt be a problem during the dry season.

Prior to visiting, I experienced a fair amount of anxiety. I had paid half up front via paypal through their website. When it came time for my second payment - which was to be in full prior to arrival - the website had died. There are relatively few reviews here and the web presence was almost non-existent. I became very concerned but I was eventually able to locate a phone number in the united states connected with the place. I ended up speaking with Grant's father who owns the Island. Grant's father, George, lives and San Diego - if you call and he answers "Hotel Palomar," don't be concerned, you have the right number. I felt very assured after speaking with George and was able to send my final payment.

When we arrived, everything worked like clockwork. Grant had a driver waiting for us at the airport and Grant and his wife and beautiful daughter were waiting at the dock for us.

It is a truly unique place. While the rooms are spartan (they are exactly as the pictures show), if you are ok with that, you have to go!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple