The Surfer
US$79
We Escape(Weligama)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewssurf instructorsthe ownertuk tukplay gamesbeach campmovie nightnice place to chillnew friendsrooftop terraceawesome placemeet nice peoplelocal reefbar and pool areaa great place to meetchillout areapool partiessunset surf
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Great place to learn to surf - the beginner waves are an easy walk from the beach camp.

We loved the fact that this place is a bit outside the city away from the tourist crowds - It is only about 10-15 min walk along the beach into Weligama or one can take a tuk tuk (LKR 200) or ride the local bus (one stop) (LKR15)

The rooms are clean and there is a nice pool too.

The place has a great vibe and is really laid back - the staff is very friendly and helpful.

Good food in the roof top bar, which is a great place to chill after surfing and/or yoga.

Both the special dinner nights : grilled fish BBQ and the local curry night were superb - the food was so yummy.

On the downside - The surfer seemed a bit busy / little unorganised, so we have the majority of our surf lessons with 6-8 students, despite the website stating max 4 per lesson.

We also had several lessons, where we surfed the green waves on our own as the instructor was busy in the white waves with the beginners.

Finally, the supply chain of the bar need to be improved too, as there was several days with no cold beers as the staff had not refilled the fridge in the morning - a surf place with no cold beers!

Despite the above short comings , we would stay at 'The Surfer - beach camp", if we were going to Weligama again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Lahiru C, Owner at The Surfer, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thank u very much ur feedback ,i really appreciate it , thanks for bringing my attention to the student ratio since i have asked the guy who manage the lesson to keep the group as minimum as possible but unfortunately one instructors was out of the water to get a wound heal ! my apology may be that could be the reason happen that time ! but i will talk with my surf lesson management guy not to happen that again !

Sorry abt the cold Beer ,i understand the important of a cold beer in a warm counntry after a good surf session ! i have spoken to the manager abt it and he agree to keep fill the Fridge up !

further i have spoken to the kitchen staff that they need to provide the food fast ! and i apology behalf of them abt the slow service u had that time ! i understand that it is very nice to eat every one together !

Thank u again for ur feedback Chris and definitely i am looking forward to see u back

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed at surf camps and lodgings all round the world and, while The Surfer isn’t the most luxurious or beautiful, it’s super clean, comfortable and has a really sociable feel which is way more important for me. The staff are all amazingly welcoming and friendly. The roof terrace is a real communal spot and great for meeting people. Unfortunately I only got to surf once - waves were great - as I had a flesh wound and that’s the only real problem with this spot: the beach and water is filthy. I guess that’s just the deal in Sri Lanka.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Very nice social vibe on the roof terrace. Awesome western and Sri Lankan food, booked 8 days but extended to 12. Next to the beach which is the best in Sri Lanka for beginner surfers. Small classes with good instructors!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Its one time of the best hotel in south-west coast without any doubt. You have probably everything you need for relaxation and activities: yoga, swimming pool, lessons of surfing just in front of hotel(Weligama is perfect for beginners). You will not feel boring at evening, staff usually organize some event-party to entertain and help you to chill out. I like such a type of hotel and everything because of creative boss!

P.S. Rooms with sea view are amazing!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I was over in Sri Lanka for a friend's wedding.
Myself and a friend decided to go surfing.
The Surfer was a very relaxing place with really great surf instructors. The rooms, food, activities and information were just perfect.
The owner Lahiru is a cool guy and the whole place has that same feel.
The people staying there were very friendly and inclusive.
The surf location was right by the hotel and the waves were very consistent. I would recommend a 7 day stay if you are a beginner like me. I only stayed for 5 days but I was just getting into surfing and green waves. I really would like to have stayed a little long to improve my surfing further and check out more of the local areas.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends