“Incredible trip!!”

Freedom Surf and Travel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are a professional surf school in Weligama Bay. We offer high quality surf lessons and surf courses with experienced, English speaking instructors. We have just opened Freedom Surf Villa, a beautiful, spacious and affordable alternative to a surf camp with a communal kitchen and lounge area. Freedom Surf School has a large range of surf boards for rent, by the hour or for the whole day. Weligama Bay is a great place for beginners and to advance your surfing to the next level. We also have great value package deals. We have established great deals with local businesses to give you the best prices for other services and personalised tours. We can help with whatever you need to make your holiday in Sri Lanka easy and cheap.Send us a message or view our website for more details.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I stayed for 3 weeks in the Freedom villa on the surf package. Freedom also organised and booked a 10-day tour for my Dad and I before arriving in Weligama (Negombo, Pinnawala, Sigirya, Dambulla, Anuradhapura, Nurawa Eliya, Ella). Leomi was absolutely amazing. She answered every question we had, dealt with all our requests promptly, and was so accommodating of any budget query, suggestion or change of heart we had along the way. We felt free to do our own thing and also very well looked out for. Leomi also arranged for Suren to drive us from place to place, who was professional, lots of fun and full of recommendations - we were always stopping off at food stalls or unexpected places, hearing about Sri Lankan history, culture, religion, and so on. He was an amazing tour guide! My Dad even got to play a bit of cricket with him at the bottom of Little Adam’s Peak (a real highlight for him so I thought it deserved a mention…) All in all we had an incredible time and it was really all down to Freedom’s careful planning and recommendations - very grateful to Leomi for making it happen!

I also had a great few weeks staying with Freedom in Weligama. The teachers are fun and encouraging - the school is really accommodating in terms of how fast you want to progress, how regularly you want lessons etc. The villa is ideally placed and very relaxing - it's light and breezy, and so nice to come back to in the afternoons if you’re a bit knackered from the surf. It’s also a great place to meet people if you’re a solo traveller. Leomi and Rowan both go out of their way to make sure every one of their guests has the best time possible - from delicious breakfasts, to sorting laundry service and bike hire, to lifts to the local doctor if you’re a bit clumsy and manage to cut yourself on your own surfboard fin... They’re also full of recommendations for restaurants or nearby day-trips for days when you feel like exploring. I felt seriously lucky to find them and whole-heartedly recommend Freedom as a school and accommodation to anyone visiting Weligama - such a special place!

1  Thank Lily G
LeomiRKP, General Manager at Freedom Surf and Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you Lily for your lovely review. We absolutely loved meeting you and your dad and having you stay with us!

We hope you have a great time in Berlin and we really hope to see you again in Sri Lanka.

Stay in touch.

"surf"
in 32 reviews
"beginners"

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Freedom Surf Villa doing a package of 10 surf lessons and 6 nights at the villa. Their value for money was just fantastic, but particularly given the lovely villa and the quality surf teaching. Leomi our host couldn’t have made us feel more welcome and at home for the whole week. The villa is just a short walk from the beach in a nice neighbourhood, has a light, open and friendly feel - you can snooze in your bedroom after some intense surfing or chat with other Freedomers in the communal area over a cup of coffee or one of Leomi’s yummy breakfast smoothie bowls.

And for the surf lessons - we were taught by the National Champion of Sri Lanka! Leista was patient and made lessons fun. We felt like we’d cracked it (as beginners) at the end of the week and are well and truly hooked on surfing now. There are a number of surf shops on Weligama beach front but if you want quality teaching whether beginner/advanced and friendly instructors at a surf school I’d thoroughly recommend Freedom.

LeomiRKP, Guest Relations Manager at Freedom Surf and Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

We loved having you guys stay and surf with us!! You were absolute professionals at surfing!!

We wish you all the best on your travels and hope to see you again in the future.

From the Freedom Team

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

My Fiancé and I took a 1 hour surf lesson together. This was our very first time surfing and the instructor was very accommodating. He was really patient and had great tips.
Once we were out in the ocean I felt very safe and under no pressure to excel (which is good as I wasn’t very good haha) my partner though picked it up really quickly and so the instructor gave him more advance advice to surf on his own.
We had a 15 minutes break before hiring the boards again for another hour on our own.
We left our bags and personnel belongings on the beach with the surf school and they assured us it would be safe and it was.
Was such a great morning and the beach was very safe for beginners and trustworthy crew.
Definitely recommend these guys!

Thank you for your review Ella.

Were glad you had a brilliant first surf lesson.

Come back and surf with us again next time!

From The Freedom Team

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

It was such a pleasure to spend over 2 weeks with this school! I initially booked 5 days but it didn’t take long to decide to extend the stay upon seeing the villa accommodation and receiving such a warm welcome / hospitality from Leo and the instructors! The school quickly became a second family - the teachers were extremely professional in the water and would always invite me out for social events and gatherings which was great for a solo traveller! I would recommend this highly to both beginner surfers and those more experienced who are looking to turn it up a notch. 10/10

LeomiRKP, Public Relations Manager at Freedom Surf and Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We had an amazing time with you! Thank you so much for coming and choosing Freedom.

We hope to see you again one day!!

The Freedom Team

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Where to start...? Long story short - I booked 6 nights and stayed 10.
I actually got there by accident. Someone I met on the beach in Tangalle recommended this place to me as I was still uncertain what to do. Luckily, Leomi also had free space in the villa. The villa is such a lovely place with a great atmosphere. I met a really nice group of people’s and there was always someone around for dinner or other social activities. As a solo traveller this is essential. Leomi also invited us to join gatherings with her friends, which I think shows how much she cares about her guests. Oh... and those smoothie bowls she prepares for breakfast - the best start to a morning full of surfing!!!
The surf school is fantastic as well. Didn’t expect to get up and catch some waves as a total beginner during my first lesson. I had Lanith aka Popper as an instructor. He is a great teacher, funny and very encouraging. I went from a 8‘10“ soft board to a 7‘10“ hard board in 10 days. I also had a couple of lessons with Lesitha as Lanith was out and he was also great. I got a lot out of his sessions.
The surf school is also a great place to hang out and talk to other travelers. I stayed for one month in Sri Lanka and i have to say that these 10 days are my favorite memory. I will surely come back one day.

LeomiRKP, Guest Relations Manager at Freedom Surf and Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

We loves having you and meeting you! Such a pleasure!

Thank you for your kind word... come back and see us again - you are always welcome.

From all of us at Freedom :)