Lock in the lowest price from these sites
eDreams
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2019 via mobile

On the outskirts of town, the Maly is a family run hotel built in old style with lots of shiny wood. The property is well maintained and has all the basics, spacious and clean rooms and bathroom. The restaurant was closed during our stay but the management got someone to cook specially for the two of us! Very helpful staff for getting tours around the region organised.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 18 December 2018 via mobile

Laos has so much of interest, historically and contemporarily, my time was limited; I prioritized. I had long ago heard about the Plain of Jars (in fact, a cartoon in Mad Magazine might have spiked my interest in it), and that became my focus. As I alluded to, my time was restricted, so I needed to arrange as much beforehand as possible. The single best action I did was reserve my overnights at this fine family[Phetrasy family]-run hotel.

I was extremely pleased to learn that my assigned room, #5, was set well off the road and up only a half-flight if stairs. I was surprised at how large the room was; two beds, one a healthy-sized queen and a much smaller standard. Both were extremely firm, which, of course, my back really appreciates. There was very hot water available to both the sink & bath tub, which happened to be huge. My knees/body appreciated the deep soak of extremely warm water—twice—something I hadn’t done since last being stateside in September2018. Unfortunately, handicap handholds/grabs do not exist; even down below on the ground floor, where neither the restaurant nor the lobby are very wheelchair friendly. The only other negative was that the transom light permitted light from the hallway to enter the room at night, easily defeated with an eye mask or piling in if the pillows/coverlets over my head.

Regardless, the restaurant is superb, with fresh food always presented. They even came up with local dishes in the evenings, despite my not having reserved ahead. The Brekkies were always delicious, nutritious & needed for a full day.

In the lobby are several comfortable chairs, and a big screen TV off to one side. One hour-long video (“The Most Secret Place On Earth”) can be played on it, and I found it FASCINATING, as well as HORRIFYING that WE (USA/CIC/Congress) could commit such War Crimes. Our responsibility for the continuing damage/maiming/death resulting from the Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) WE deposited there 40-50-60 years ago has slowly been recognized—former President Obama journeyed to this area to begin/continue overdue reparations. (While an apology is acceptable—and I as a USA citizen made many here as well as in Vietnam—MONEY/donations to MAG or UXO is the best way to help this nation recover.) Probably the most important aspect of this video, aside from exposing the USA culpability, is that the former co-owner (Mr. Sousath Phetrasy, may he RIP) of this fine hotel, was instrumental in not only gaining access to the area, but also expanding the economy/bringing in tourists. His wife (Madame Sivone Phetrasy) and daughter (Malysa Phetrasy) currently run this fabulous hotel.

Obviously, they gave my “Wheel of Approval!” Even though it is a 45-minute (GimpWalk) from midtown Phonsavan, I preferred it because I learned so much more, especially about the location of the museum, library and general routing. I highly recommend this, whether you arrive by bus, motorcycle, airplane or even bicycle!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Few points on this hotel
The hotel is about 20mn walking distance to “downtown”: our mistake we book via internet. All the restaurants are on the main street.
They charge us 50USD per night for a room that has very very very old fashioned woody chinese style. Everything in the room is old and used. The room was freezing and we had to beg for blankets.
The worse was the shower, no pressure, either icy water or boiling, frankly you do not stay very long in the shower.
Breakfast is very basic: coffee, bread and butter and eggs and no refill...
Happy to leave and will not come back. Yes the offer in Phonsavan is not large but really I will not recommend this place.
2 stars because of the Lady who run the place and her nice smile. Otherwise the staff are like ghosts and inefficient

Date of stay: December 2017
1  Thank Bangkokace K
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Really hard to know how to review this place. Yes it has seen better days (threadbare towels, a bit dusty, etc) but it retains an old style feel. A bit out of town so a short walk to main drag restaurants but we had an unexpectedly good nights sleep and the staff were very obliging. If modern and clean is important to you then go elsewhere but for old Laos atmosphere this may just do it for you. And it’s the only time I have eaten breakfast next to a display case of UXB (hopefully decommissioned!). Bathroom rather cold in the cool weather as tiled floors. Can’t comment on the evening food as we ate elsewhere to stretch the legs after a long journey.

Date of stay: December 2017
1  Thank bridgemagoo2
Reviewed 26 April 2017

As others have said, there's not a lot to like about Phonsavan. If it were possible to avoid the city to visit the Plain of Jars, I doubt anyone would want to spend the night here, let alone two. The Maly Hotel reflects the town. Its old and tired. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed during our 2-night stay for "renovations", which meant a long walk into town. The rooms are not as nice as the pictures suggest, felt a little damp and needed a good clean to get rid of the cobwebs (literally).

The owner is friendly, and does her best. She prepared us a packed breakfast as we were leaving early for Luang Prabang.

Although not the hotel's fault, nearby cockerels crowing were a noisy problem during the night.

Room tip: Some rooms are apparently bigger than others
Date of stay: April 2017