“Great ModerateTrail”

Beaver Ponds Loop Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: At just over 5 miles, this trail offers visitors intimate views of Yellowstone's peaks, ponds, meadows and wildlife.
Reviewed 30 January 2018

We saw an elk and her calf right off the trailhead. It climbs up initially but not anything strenuous. The beaver ponds aren't very exciting and it's rare to see beavers out and about. But we did see a badger! The way back down is beautiful. You come down through a sagebrush meadow with sweeping views of Mammoth and the surrounding mountains.

All reviews
"saw elk"
in 4 reviews
"mammoth hot springs hotel"
"sagebrush"
in 3 reviews
"spray"
"terrace"

Reviewed 24 January 2018

Beaver Ponds Loop is a 5 mi/8.3 km moderately-rated hike. The trail starts from the Lower Terraces, climbs up to beaver ponds and into Montana, and descends down to Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel.

My husband and I did this hike on a Saturday morning (9am) in August. To our surprise, the trail was busy, and we didn't see a lot of wildlife at the beaver ponds, which was disappointing. Highlight of the trail was the Montana portion, which had a beautiful panoramic view (see photo).

Reviewed 17 July 2017

This has become my wife and I's favorite hike in the park. If you want complete solitude, great wildlife viewing, and beautiful scenery, this hike has it all for you. Be extremely careful on this hike though and bring bear spray. The first quarter of a mile we saw fresh bear droppings on the trail, a few miles in we saw a lot of fresh prints and diggings, and at several hundred yards did see a grizzly with 2 cubs. We also saw a lot of elk and during the rut was just awesome wildlife viewing. Be very careful though on this trail, there are many blinds spots, make noise! I spoke of the solitude of the trail, we started at 7 am, finished up around 11am, and only saw 2 other people the whole time on the trail, it was awesome!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

I began from the Mammoth visitor centre with my family in July 2017. The day was perfect as it was cool and cloudy, threatening a thunderstorm. In the end only a few big drops fell.

This hike crosses several types of terrain. We did not see any beaver unfortunately. However I encountered a white-tail doe with her faun not 30 feet from me in the woods. I also saw elk, numerous bird species and stood among a busy colony of prairie dogs. I enjoyed watching red-winged blackbirds catching insects around an enormous flooded area. Several flew right past my shoulder.

This hike will give you the feel of being in the back-country. It pays to stop and listen, paying attention to your surroundings. Take bear spray.

Of all the hikes we did, this was easily the most memorable for me and one that I wish I had done twice. I am sure the cool weather was a plus.

Also of note, the area around Mammoth was extremely busy, but from the moment we began this trail we encountered fewer than ten people in about four hours' walking time.

1  Thank Ken S