1,489 results
All reviews canyon lodge hayden valley western cabin general store bison superior room two queen beds central location short drive coffee maker dining options post office old faithful ice machine visitor center stayed nights cabin area
Reviewed 14 June 2018

we paid 350$ for the room. We wanted this hotel to become the highlight of our 3 day Yellowstone tour. Due to our expectations, we made our boys i(16, 13) think the same. We arrived after a long cold hiking day, and then we quickly realised that there is no fun stuff at all for kids in this hotel : no pool, no hot tube, no billard table, no tv , no complimentary internet, terrible beds, elevator out of order, and not so friendly manager in the lobby. The hype around this hotel is clearly clearly due the great location, but hey, around the park few great places with much more children friendly attitude.

Room Tip: Try the first floor, but make sure the elevator works
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Alex S
Reviewed 12 June 2018

We had two one-queen-sized bed rooms for a family of four. Though the room was well-kept, the beds were very worn. The edges of the bed collapsed, so it felt more like two sleeping in a double bed, instead of a queen. The rooms seemed retrofitted for a bathroom, as it had a sliding door with a 3-inch gap...not much privacy. The location was very central to Yellowstone, which is massive, so a central location was a plus. The food options, which were a short drive away, were expensive and limited. The overall cost of the rooms were reasonable for the location in the middle of the park.

Room Tip: There are several hotel building in the complex. Ask for the newest one possible.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2018

The Canyon Village lodge was very nice, but it was a bit difficult to find the right check-in place. If you go to the building which reads Canyon Lodge you end up in the Cafeteria. But staff is kind and very helpful in showing you the right way. I arrived on the day the Lodge officially opened for season 2018 so I was a bit surprised to see that the floor of my room was covered in dirt. The furniture and facilities were fine and very clean. My room was on the third floor and had a nice view of the mountain which I really loved. Another thing I really liked was the waste disposal and recycling options in my room as well as on the ground floor of the Chittenden Lodge. You’ll also have the opportunity to fill up your water bottles with drinking water. Another thing I really liked was that you could not leave on any lights by mistake because they would only work if you left your room key attached to a specific device. Very nice!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank sunsetd
Reviewed 11 June 2018

While we don't regret choosing to stay in YNP in a hotel our 3 nights at Canyon Lodge were perhaps the worst we've had in the past 10 years or so.

First the positives:
1) The wonderful coffee bar in our lodge (Washburn) that was open 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM every morning
2) Close access to the parking lot from our first floor room even if it meant a bit less privacy when our windows were open during the day
3) Plentiful towels and the sink being outside the bathroom itself so several people could get ready at the same time in the AM.
4) The room was quiet; doors are very thick and walls seemed to muffle any noise.
5) Ice machine in the lobby area always had ice available to refill our cooler.
6) Handicap parking was always available conveniently close to our lodge and at most attraction parking lots (geysers, Old Faithful etc.)

The negatives:
1) As I said earlier, the beds had several issues. We had to pull the mattresses away from the headboard since every motion including just sitting on the end of the bed created constant squeaking noises.
2) The beds were so soft/uncomfortable that neither my husband with his back pain nor I with mild hip bursitis got a decent night's sleep. We woke up so often each night that it almost ruined our trip (my husband and son's first YNP trip!). I had thought that our accumulated loss of sleep would guarantee a better night eventually but not so! We occasionally encounter this same mattress problem when traveling but this was by far the worst in many years.
3) We had some warm days so needed the provided fan but it was noisy and did not work well but we made do. At least it provided some white noise!
4) We saw many people complaining at the front desk about the quality of wifi they had paid for. And the free wifi in the business room on the second floor of our lodge was slower than slow! We eventually just gave up on any wifi which was easy for me but our son nearly went into withdrawal.
5) We should have complained about the beds and fan while we were there but decided to spend as much time as possible touring the park instead.

If we ever return to Yellowstone (very doubtful.....) I would choose a hotel outside the park in West Yellowstone with more amenities and wifi to please son and TV to please husband and I.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back of lodge to avoid bus noises and check in/out traffic.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2018

The good: ceramic mugs and glass tumblers for coffee and drinks. Dispensers rather than those polluting little bottles so many hotels provide. A good bed. A decent reading light. Hooks on the wall to let wet clothes dry out. Real hangers. RECYCLING options for garbage (we only encountered this TWICE in 34 nights in the US). Yay!

The bad: a park-wide power outage on our arrival meant everything was in disarray. Although most people checking in waited patiently in a long line up, some people rocked up to the counter and staff ignored the people who had waited and served them first. Worse than that? No elevators and no staff to help with luggage. The next morning most of the power was still out.
We couldn't shower as the bathroom lights weren't working (some lights were working off back up generators).
What did the hotel offer as an apology? Zip. Zero. Zilch. Not even a free coffee voucher.
On check out I listened to a man who hadn't had hot water in his room for two nights. He was offered another room (not so convenient when travelling with a family as he was) and a $15 a night credit.
The parking is inadequate for the size of the accommodation. Even though many people arrived by bus, by 8;30 PM there still weren't enough parking spots for those of us who came in private cars.
The switch for the reading light over the beds was placed so high, I had to almost stand to turn it off.
A problem with dispenser amenities is when one guest moves into a room after another guest and housekeeping haven't bothered to wipe down the slimy bottles,it's s kind of unappealing.
Worse: the bathtub is built up to the point where it's a long step down after showering. There is no grab rail. That's not much of an issue for tall people like us but I could easily imagine a shorter person having a problem with this.
Some of the walkways to and from the parking lot were covered with snow so we had to detour through the garden beds that weren't covered with snow.
There is no WIFI so guests cannot check what the weather is going to be that day. They cannot check tours available or where they are going next. I saw two phone booths at one of the villages but the phones had been ripped out.
Also in the information age, not being able to get more details of what we'd seen during a day was a disappointment. There are no resources in the hotels for species identification or other information, short of buying expensive, bulky books in the many gift shops.
The table in the room which is fine for playing games, was so much higher than the chairs, it was physically uncomfortable to use.
Without TV of WIFI evenings are 'make your own entertainment' events. If there are only 2 of you in a room, this isn't a huge problem. If there are four of you, only 2 will have chairs.
There is paid internet - in the lobbies only. It is expensive and generally only accepts one device.
The food services for this group of hotels is a 15 minute walk away - not something everyone wants to do after a long day hiking around the park.
In room coffee is supplied. It is insipid.
The park made up for all of that and more but next time I'd stay in Yellowstone West and drive a little farther every day.
They get 4 stars for the recycling effort.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple