“Good atmosphere, but slow service and below average food”

El Sombrero Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 139 Restaurants in Vicksburg
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Came in on a Monday night with the family. My meal did not show up until after the rest of the family had finished eating. Could have forgiven that, however the food was not that good, and when we asked about drink specials we were told that none were available even though later we saw signs posted for them. Also we ordered regular margaritas, but were given and charged for jumbo, not really bad enough to complain about, but annoying. All in all, blah. However the interior was cool looking.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We stopped for dinner tonight for the first time. Food was the same bland Tex Mex. From the time you order to delivery it comes out in five minutes. That's because it's all microwaved. Nothing special.

The food was hot and service nice. Don't expect anything but the same five minute food.

Very disappointed because the building is so nice. I expected something else.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

While visiting Vicksburg we decided to try El Sombrero for dinner after reading Trip Advisor reviews. Absolutely excellent. Has to be the best Mexican dinner we have had in a while. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Management failure at this location. Management needs to re-train their servers. second visit in three weeks and same experience. We had 8 people in our party and were seated very quickly. Chip guy was almost on our heels placing chips and salsa on our table. This is the point everything starts going downhill. After about 10 to 15 minutes a waiter appears to take our drink orders from another area of tables in the next room. It took our waiter another 10 to 15 minutes to return with our drinks and he disappeared quickly. After waiting 20 minutes to place our order we finally got up and went to the front to find someone to take our order. They supposedly were trying to find our waiter and he appeared at our table about 10 minutes later. During this time the chip guy brought us another round. I noticed that all the waiters were working multiple tables in multiple rooms instead of having tables in one room. This obviously added to their inability to timely help their customers and recognize when customers needed them. The room we were in was very hot and there was no air circulation. I will also mention parking is very difficult during peak hours due to limited spaces for the capacity size restaurant. Food finally arrived and was hot and well prepared. Food had a good taste and was pleasant. I would have given better marks if it was not for the bad service twice in three weeks with different waiters. Resturant is very loud with minimal capacity since everything in there reflects sound. Hopefully, management will get their wait staff in check very soon and get this restaurant back to its prior glory.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

El Sombrero is probably the best Tex-Mex restaurant in Vicksburg. It's huge. I've never had a wait of more than a couple of minutes. Service, always friendly and competent, usually gets to our table after only a short wait, salsa and chips and drinks all come promptly. Appetizers follow shortly, and the meal usually arrives before I'm quite finished noshing on the prelims. There's a good selection of beers and the cocktails have enough alcohol that you don't order a second if you're driving.
The menu is huge. All of the standard Tex-Mex dishes are available, but others less usual are there too. I especially enjoy the Pollo Karney, although once when I ordered it I was pretty sure it had not been prepared by the usual chef. The flavors were a little off. Servings are generous; I never have room for dessert. Service up to this point in the meal is usually very good, but somehow when you're waiting for your check or to tell your server you 'd like your check, it often takes longer than it seems it should. Once you've finished coffee and the kids have had dessert, the server should realize what's next. This is a common failing in restaurants that I don't understand.
This is a kid-friendly, family restaurant. It can be noisy, depending on who's nearby, but it's spacious enough that you don't sit on top of other customers. I usually enjoy my meal a great deal, so do the family, and the price is right.