21 people are viewing this hotel
travelup.comUS$401
TravelocityUS$467
Lol.travelUS$572
7,133 results
All reviews the shore bird shorebird restaurant ocean house restaurant pacific tower the kani ka pila grille ocean front partial ocean view waikiki beach the activities desk diamond head our honeymoon city view pool side hawaiian music oceanfront room mai tais bell desk
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 September 2021

Walked in, looked around, and walked right back out after I demanded my money back. They should NOT be booking at this hotel. Construction all over, dangling electrical lights, dirty pool area....hey, maybe it's ok for some, but there was no way I was staying there with MY family. See my photos of the lobby, pool and guest elevator area.

What I didn't get a photo of is the walkway from the hotel to the beach. It is trenched out and covered in parts with plywood. It smells like sewage.

They immediately refunded my money, I suspect they are pretty used to people wanting out. We ended up paying twice as much at the Hilton Waikiki, which we should have booked in the first place.
Overall? It's a nightmare.

We talked to some friends who live in Honolulu and told them our experience. When they asked what hotel we had been at and we told them the Outrigger, they burst out laughing. Apparently, they have been "under construction" forever.

We did end up staying at the Outrigger in Kauai during this same trip and I must say, it was lovely. Just a beautiful property with excellent service. But steer clear from this place.

Room tip: Make sure ALL construction is done before booking.
Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank CathRun
Outrigger Reef Front Office, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2021

Aloha CathRun,
Thank you for staying at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and providing your invaluable feedback. All of our rooms have been fully renovated and we are close to completing our public area revitalization. We are sorry to hear that your stay was impacted negatively. We want you to have the best suitable accommodation and experience the finest of what our resort and the island has to offer. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us directly via email at orf@outrigger.com. We hope you can give us another try on your future visit to Honolulu. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed 6 September 2021

stay here if you like to be ripped off. i was told at check in that we had been given an upgrade on our room. what they did not say was that they would charge an extra $250 for it. lots of construction going on also. beach is really small. you can do better somewhere else

Room tip: go somewhere else
1  Thank hazman50
Garrick Otsuka, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide gracious, engaging and caring service and sincerely appreciate your feedback. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We do understand your frustrations regarding our revitalization of our hotel. Please accept my most sincere apology for the dissatisfaction with our resort. Would it be possible for you to contact us directly by calling 808-923-3111 or email at orf@outrigger.com in regards to your recent visit? We look forward to working with you on this situation. Mahalo!

Reviewed 5 September 2021

My vacation was from August 13th - 18th. As we exited our shuttle, we were immediately approached by the bell boys and they took our luggage to our room for us. Frank at the front desk checked my daughter and I in to a lovely room that had a partial ocean view on the 5th floor. The room was clean and inviting. We had a wonderful sleep after traveling all day. Although our room was nice, the next morning I went to the front desk to ask if there were any other rooms with a little better view. Again Frank was there and offered me an Oceanfront room (#516) for just a little more money each day and it included the Voyager 47 program, which ended up being helpful since my daughter needs to have access to juice and snacks at certain times since she has type 1 diabetes. That room was breathtaking (location location location) and it made our trip OUTSTANDING!
It was so nice to wake up and hear the ocean from our room in the morning and evening as we watched the unforgettable Hawaiian sunsets every night. Everyone at the hotel from the towel man, to the servers at the V47 lounge and the restaurant that was at the hotel exceeded my expectations. I would stay here again and have wonderful memories of a lifetime because of the staff at this hotel. A big shout out to "Frank" for making my vacation one I will never forget! I hope to return very soon! Mahalo, Outrigger Reef!! Kind regards, Jacqueline Daren

Room tip: Pick the Oceanfront tower; Get the full oceanfront view. Well worth it!!
2  Thank SEALBEACH78
Ronnie Barit, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2021

Aloha SEALBEACH78! Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. It is our pleasure to know that your stay was OUTSTANDING and vacation you will never forget. Your feedback about the service from our hosts and your satisfaction with the accommodation is music to our ears. We love hearing that our guests are fully satisfied with their stay. We continue to strive to offer the best service and make Outrigger Reef your home away from home while in Honolulu. Most of all, your commendation about our host, Bell Team and Frank is very much appreciated. We'll be sure to share this with our hosts and we know that they will be glad that you remember them. On your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can provide you a much more memorable experience. We look forward to welcome again. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed 2 September 2021

My sister booked an all inclusive package for the two of us for a five day stay. In case this would be helpful for others reading this review I will say that we are both in our mid to late 20s and do not have any accessibility concerns.

My review will separated into two sections: location and service/quality.

Location: * 10/10 stars!! *

For location I would say that I based this part of my review on the distance and travel time to the airport, shopping and scenic destinations.

The resort is approximately 25 minutes away from the airport. It is also about a block away from the main shopping and an abc store is about 500 ft away from the lobby.
* abc stores are a tourist focused one stop shop for basic necessities and tchatskys.

Given that the primary focus of our trip was to essentially visit beaches and eat it was very easy to hop in the car and be on our way around the island relatively quick. It took us approximately 1 hr or 1hr and 30 minutes at the most to get to the beaches we wanted to see. I'm not sure if I could attribute that to the hotel or just the size of O'ahu generally but if you've been to any of the other islands you would appreciate this short travel time.

Service/ Quality: 10/10

The resort was under partial construction during our stay. You might think that this would affect my overall evaluation but to be honest it wasn't a problem because well, we were in Hawaii and we didn't plan on staying inside the hotel all day.

Breakfast was included in our package and the menu items at the cafe were delicious.

Our rooms were serviced somewhere between 10 -11 am each morning and were always clean.

The staff at the resort were incredibly kind, professional, and accommodating.

Note to the staff at the resort:
Thank you so much for making our stay so pleasurable!

1  Thank Paxton P
Outrigger Reef Front Office, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2021

Aloha Paxton P,
Mahalo for sharing a thoughtful review of your experience at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. Your 10/10 score for the resort location and service/quality is very much appreciated. We will be sure to share your gracious comments with our hosts. We are delighted to know that your overall stay went above expectations and that you had an amazing time exploring our beautiful island home. If you haven’t already, please follow us on social media @outriggerreef to stay connected. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2021

This is a difficult review to write. Many of the problems I will mention are likely to be resolved soon as they pertain to the ongoing renovations of the property. That said, I think they deserve mention as they may relate to how guests are treated.

When we booked the hotel, we were made aware that the hotel was being renovated. However, upon arrival we felt that we were misled about the extent of the renovations and what would be available on property. The largest issue was that we were told that there would be two restaurants open, and one would be the better on property restaurant. This facility was closed. Other things were broken or out of service like the soda vending machines (broken but no “out of order” sign posted).

The room was large and well maintained but not quite comfortable. It was the size of two rooms in some hotels I’ve visited but the space was empty. There was no chair for the small desk. There were no dressers or drawers to put clothes away.

The pool was nice but the area around it small. Chairs filled up by mid-morning. There was really no beach area to speak of.

The one restaurant that was open had a very limited menu and the food was not very good. To be fair the service was good.

The service in the hotel was mostly good. The employees were friendly and tried to be helpful. This wasn’t always a good thing. The cleaning person was always right outside our door waiting to clean the room. I know she meant to be helpful, but we felt rushed. The concierge didn’t seem to have a lot of local knowledge and would suggest we do things we weren’t interested in instead of answering our questions.

2  Thank mbrichter
Tyler Castro, Guest Services / Front Office at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2021

Aloha,

Thank you for your honest feedback as it allows us to improve on the service opportunity you mentioned. Your comment has been discussed in-depth with our team to avoid re-occurrence.

We hope that we can welcome you back at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort.

Mahalo Nui Loa,