See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My boyfriend and I arrived in Honolulu and stayed at the Plumeria for our stay in Honolulu. It was exactly what we expected from reading about it online. It is not a five star hotel so do not expect all the amentities. You will need to bring your own towels to shower and dry your hands. You also need to bring your own hand soap for the bathroom and all shower amentities. They do provide the toilet paper, fan and tv in some rooms.

We had a nice room with a tv and shared a room with a very nice lady. We would talk at night sometimes if we were all around. And she would leave us candy and things like that. It was so sweet. The bathroom was cleaner than I expected. There were some little bugs there, but that is island life. Your feet tended to stay on the sandy dirty side because of the tile floors. I felt very safe and the location was great.

The room was a little hot at night, but the fan tended to cool you off enough to sleep comfortably. It wasn't noisy in the morning as it is not right on the road. The only thing that woke us up was this annoying bird! We do not know what kind it was believe us we asked hehehe. The tv was pretty good and the bed was ok. Not the most comfortable, but sleepable. We did our laundry there and that was pretty good. It was 1.25 for wash and 1 for dryer. It is outside so the washers sometimes has the little mini bugs walking around, but nothing bad.

The hostel is close to all the buses to get you where you need to go. The bus systems is awesome in Honolulu. And there was 7 11 and grocery store about a block away if not less. Make sure you walk the .7 miles to the Ala Moana Center! It is the largest outdoor mall in the world and is a must see.

The staff was wonderful and accomodating! I thought I lost something and they went while I was on the phone to look for it for me :) We did end up staying on more night and they don't normally do that. It was a favor. We greatly appreciated it. We did have to change rooms.

The second room was not as good as the first. If it had been our first assigned room I would have asked for another room. The other tenant was a male and did not keep the bathroom clean and it was a lot older and dirtier. I barely wanted to use the bathroom, but it was only for a night so I sucked it up. It just made me feel dirtier than a bathroom should make you feel. And the room smelled because someone closed the fridge with it unplugged, but not the fault of the hostel.

I have never stayed in a hostel or a hotel like this and I gave it a shot. I am not sure I am a hostel type travellor, but it is definitely a great one if you like to travel! I would definitely recommend this to someone. Just remember you are paying for a place to sleep and eat cheaply. :)

Thank you for your aloha! Mahalo!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTravels1010
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I have stayed at the Plumeria TWO times. The first time I needed a place near the Honolulu Art Museum so I could walk 4 blocks and attend 14 week classes from Jan-May, 2007. I could afford both the housing and the 5 classes I took at the Honolulu Acadamy of Arts. I enjoyed my private room with AC/ Ceiling fan, Color TV but I had to share the bathroom and kitchen. I could live with that for the price. I could grocery shop at the Safeway or Maikai which were very close or have a sandwich at McDonalds or Subway and don't miss Auntie Pastos for wonderful Itailian food. 7blocks away is the ocean and the Alamoana Mall. The Plumeria Apt gave me a way to ENJOY my stay in Honolulu and not pay 100 USD$ per day. I paid a weekly rate. If you are looking for a beach front condo you will pay for it but I was looking for affordable housing to attend classes and stay in Oahu then Plumeria is just the place! I walked everywhere and also used the bus. I did not rent a car.
My second stay was July, 2008 for 10 days. I had another class at the Honolulu Academy for 5 days and I stayed both weekends and enjoyed Waikiki by bus for 2$ a ride but you can get a bus pass at the Mall and make it even cheaper. The floor and paid for the best room. Yes, you get what you pay for if you take the cheapest room. They were upgrading rooms and ask for the upgraded rooms. Laundry is available for $1 a wash and dry and a Seven Eleven across the street if you need a quick snack or soap! Remember, this place is for the budget traveler and not on the beach. I live in a city and it is near a city intersection so you hear the cars not the ocean! But, I saved alot of money and could lock my private bedroom and not worry about my things. Would I stay again if I am taking a class.. yes... but if you are wanting to hear the OCEAN then you need to pay OCEAN VIEW PRICES and this is not a place for a honeymoon couple it is what it is an affordable place to rest your luggage and explore Oahu!!!
Cheers, Jill

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Plumeria50
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I have holidayed at the Plumeria for the last 5 years running, for 2-3 months on every occasion, so I am very familiar with this property.
It is an excellent choice for budget travelers who want to spend several weeks or longer in Hawaii...it is also much more sociable than being in an anonymous hotel room!
The management changed about 2 years ago and I have always found them to be friendly and helpful.
The location is great:
1 Handy to all TheBus routes, especially the CircleIslander which takes you up to the beautiful North Shore including Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach.
2 Within easy walking distance of the newly enlarged Ala Moana Shopping Center plus Walmart.
3 Great supermarket just around the corner, plus two handy 711 stores and several restaurants just one block away.
4 In one of the city's newly created WiFi Hot Spots, which is a useful backup to the Plumeria's free on-site network.
Our in-room facilities have always included air-conditioning, cable TV, and a refrigerator, plus there is an on-site pay laundry facility.
As for noise/security mentioned in other reviews, this property is, in fact, several blocks away from any overhead motorway; not once, in all the time I've stayed here have I had any break-in, anything stolen, or any other security issues.
As accomodation in Honolulu can be mega-expensive I would say to any budget traveler to stay at the Plumeria once and decide for yourself. I have had many holidays in Hawaii and stayed everywhere from the Turtle Bay Hilton to the YMCA and everything in between. I have kept coming back to the Plumeria because I have found that its combination of price and facilities is unbeatable.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank richard_chchnz
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I stayed here in February, and thought that it was great. Having spent $100 per night to stay in Waikiki on past trips, it was great to find a place in Honolulu for $250 per week.

It was under new management, and I saw improvements being made all over. The office staff was friendly and helpful, and there are restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. You do share a kitchen and bathroom with roommates, but who needs all that private when you are headed out every morning to explore paradise?

I recommend this place to people that are really looking to see Hawaii, not just the inside of a hotel room.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Brebertski
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Dont touch this place!!!!!!!!!
However, if you're looking for somewhere to stay that tells you when you arrive and phone them from the airport that you are not even booked in with them for 7 nights stay (as you stand there clutching the email confirmation/deposit received letter from them), is very dirty , has stained carpets, a filthy kitchen, grimy windows, roaches and ants all over the place then fine, it will suit you down to the ground, otherwise give it a wide berth. like we did. Crawlies are acceptable I guess in a tropical location like Hawaii, but that's NO excuse for a downright dump like this. The rates are not that cheap either in comparison to other places. Best bet is to cancel straight away get your weeks money back and rebook into the Aqua Bamboo Spa Hotel in Waikiki, and have a clean and comfy insect free stay.

9  Thank birdsofafeather