“Huge menu”

Ranked #57 of 2,595 Restaurants in Honolulu
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 July 2018

There is something for everyone. The menu is huge with so many choices you will be looking at the menu for awhile because you can't decide what to eat. The food is excellent and the prices are very reasonable. Fine dining quality at fast food prices. I love this place!!

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This is a special hole in the wall kinda place. Looks like BBQ but no it’s all local and Asian. Good food. We had the Shio Creamy Chicken. A bit rich but really good. The potato salad is really good. Also had the ahi poke which was fresh and so tasty. Good pricing and We will be back.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Plate lunches are the norm, wherever you go on The Islands. And Pioneer Saloon does them very well.

The space is small, quaint, the furniture is mismatched, but the atmosphere is warm and welcoming (even if you're a haole). The place is regularly busy, and the food is freshly made to order, so you'll need to be patient. They suggest calling ahead for take out orders that are usually ready for pick-up in under 30 minutes (a valuable tip that we used).

The menu can seem a little overwhelming. Lots to choose from for everyone's liking, so take the time to look through it all. We ate there twice during our stay and were never disappointed!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

This is a great spot for plate meals. Great value for the money. Delicious, fresh, fast service. We ordered Cajun scallops and miso butterfish. The scallops were tender, perfect doneness but they weren’t seared which is strange, flavor could have been a lot better with a little butter pan sear.
My wife had the butterfish which was amazing. We usually eat butterfish at Roy’s, it’s a $50 plate there and it is out of this world. The butterfish at pioneer however is a $14 plate and is fantastic for the money. Must try.
I was a bit disappointed with my scallops so after I finished those I tried a chicken Katsu smothered in a sweet and spicy sauce. Those packed a satisfying punch.

I noticed another review here where a guy complained about “undercooked” chicken. My chicken Katsu was also a bit pinkish in some areas. Which is cooked by my standards. But to be fair, they cook the chicken Sous Vide, however they still failed to explain to customer in a courteous manor why they’re so sure it was cooked. Either way, based on that persons review, that situation wasn’t handled right. But I thought I’d add some insight on how the chicken is cooked. Sous vide guarantees a perfect doneness based on maintaining a certain temperature for a long period of time. This is done ahead of time and when a customer orders, they sear on the grill or pan depending on the dish.

The place was busy on a Sunday night but they were efficient. **Highly recommend the miso butterfish**

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I had researched and asked the hotel manager about the restaurant. He enthusiastically recommended it. We walked from our hotel across a beautiful park to go to Pioneer Saloon. We ordered Chicken Katsu Curry, Teriyaki Chicken, Korean Yakiniku Beef and Ginger Pork for takeout. We loved the atmosphere. It is Funky-Retro, some people eating in having lots of fun. All the food was delicious. I imagine everything there is wonderful. Service was friendly, courteous and helpful. I highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a delicious meal at reasonable prices with a laid back, local atmosphere.