Review Highlights
Outstanding

I moved to Oahu and began surfing last year, and have taken many lessons from Ivan, Jenn and Jenna... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
John L
Hong Kong, China
Beyond Brilliant

It all started on TripAdvisor and I am happy to say all the excellent reviews are spot on. Ivan is... read more

Reviewed 4 November 2018
DNG66
Perth, Australia
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Honolulu
from US$57.59
from US$166.95
from US$96.75
from US$110.00
More Info
All reviews private lesson land lesson surfing experience an excellent instructor surf lessons safety tips great surfing dry land training experienced surfers group lesson learned how learn how an awesome experience these guys hawaii trip bucket list other companies
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I learned how to surf in 2 short hours after signing up for a lesson with Ivan. The class was taught by both Ivan and Jenn, both of whom imparted years of knowledge to us in a short time frame.

The first part of the class took place on-land, as safety precautions and ground rules were explained and the real fun started in the water of course. Though the waves weren't at their strongest, we managed to catch some good ones and learn the basics of steering the board, falling safely, paddling and how to latch onto incoming swells.

All equipment used, including rash guards, was provided and our valuables were safely stashed before we hit the water.

Kudos to Ivan and Jenn for their professionalism and for a great time. With the basics mastered, we now hope to craft our skills and get better at this great watersport.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We were traveling in Hawaii for our 10th anniversary and we wanted to try surfing for the first time. We found Ivan online, booking and scheduling was very easy. To start the lesson we met Ivan on Waikiki Beach away from the busy main beach where everyone else is surfing. Ivan was very good at explaining the basics and safety tips prior to heading to the beach where the on beach portion of the lesson began. My wife was a little nervous and hesitant at first, but Ivan was helpful, patient and encouraging and in the end she was able to get up on the board. She loved it so much that we can’t wait to come back. Ivan is an excellent instructor and would highly recommend him for surfing lessons. Thanks Ivan for a great day in the water, we can’t wait to bring our daughters and do it again.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and me took a lesson two days ago and it was really great. We chose the group lesson which means 4 persons per one instructor for 90$ per person.
The waves were nor very high that day but still we cought a few good ones and i really got into it. This was my first time wave surfing but i have some experience with wind surfing and i cought almost every wave Ivan pushed me in. My girlfriend who had no experience at all had a harder time but also managed it to ride some waves.
In sum the lesson was about two and a half hours long from which we spent at least 90 minutes in the water.

I would definitely go there again but maybe i would choose a private lesson next time.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

My 3 teenage girls have been hounding me to write this review of Ivan and their 1st ever surfing lesson! I was impressed because I called on short notice and he was able to fit them in before we had to leave Hawaii. He was always very nice and friendly. There were 6 in their lesson and 2 instructors so 3:1 ratio. The girls felt like they got plenty of attention/instruction from Ivan. The girls say they were impressed because:
He went over the basics on land which eased their fears. He was funny and easy going which made him comfortable to be around and therefore easier to learn and understand his instructions. They were on land about 20 min and in the water 1.5 to 1.75 hrs!! They caught several waves and all were flying high with excitement when it was over. They wanted to rent boards the next day and go again but alas their arms were still like noodle the next day! (So really build up your arm strength 1st if you have time!!) They go too far out in the ocean to take pictures from land unless you have a telephoto lens.....I think he has water photo service but you need to let him know ahead of time and I don't know how much that runs since we didn't ask for it. It's about the experience anyway!! And this is one experience they will always remember--surfing with Ivan and Hook Up Surfing in Hawaii. They all wanted to say thank you Ivan for making their trip a blast!! Mahalo

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Had a lot of fun surfing for the first time with Ivan and his crew from Hook Up Surfing. We had a little booking snafu with some miscommunication on the date. Ivan went out of his way to make it happen for us.
We had a group of 8. None of us had ever been surfing before. Ivan brought out 3 assistants who kept track of all of us and helped us catch some waves. Most of us got up on the boards eventually. Ivan was great for pointing out little adjustments to make that would improve your form and help you get up.
2 hours was a good amount of time for the lesson. Long enough to have some success and be pretty worn out by the end. Hard to remember everything from the pre-safety and basics talk at the beginning but you got the idea pretty fast once on the board. We walked our boards down from the street to the sand which made you feel like a real surfer!
Would recommend that participants be in pretty good shape. You'll be doing a good bit of paddling as well as hoisting yourself up on the board for most of 2 hours. Think my gym time was a big help! Also, you need to be a fairly good swimmer who can handle being knocked around some by the waves. If you are prone to motion sickness, be aware this activity may make you nauseous. I would not have guessed that one but my husband did get sea sick!
All in all, it was a really good time and highlight of our Hawaii vacation.