“Friendly, attentive, and effective... Exceeded my expectations”
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I booked a private lesson with my daughter and I based on the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I'll tell you, I didn't regret a thing. From the moment I called to make the reservation to the moment I met Ivan for our lesson, he was responsive, friendly, and clear in all his communications.

We met up near the northwest end of Waikiki beach near the Army Museum, brining only ourselves, our towels, water, our own rash guards, and a GoPro 6. We were given instructions on land and once we were able to demonstrate the basics, in no time at all, we were out in the ocean waiting to catch our first waves!

I brought my GoPro and used their mount for my board and rented one of their GoPro's for my daughter's board. We received my daughter's video in a few days via DropBox and the footage was great!

Ivan is a patient, honest, friendly, and committed instructor. It's clear he won't send you out if you're not ready and he provided both my daughter and I great tips to improve our technique as we progressed through our lesson. By the end of the 2 hour instruction, both of us had several great surfing attempts as well as a new found addiction for the sport.

I would have no hesitation in re-booking again if we find ourselves in Honolulu again for a refresher.

2  Thank DavidHOh
"these guys"
in 5 reviews
"waikiki beach"

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I learned how to surf in 2 short hours after signing up for a lesson with Ivan. The class was taught by both Ivan and Jenn, both of whom imparted years of knowledge to us in a short time frame.

The first part of the class took place on-land, as safety precautions and ground rules were explained and the real fun started in the water of course. Though the waves weren't at their strongest, we managed to catch some good ones and learn the basics of steering the board, falling safely, paddling and how to latch onto incoming swells.

All equipment used, including rash guards, was provided and our valuables were safely stashed before we hit the water.

Kudos to Ivan and Jenn for their professionalism and for a great time. With the basics mastered, we now hope to craft our skills and get better at this great watersport.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We were traveling in Hawaii for our 10th anniversary and we wanted to try surfing for the first time. We found Ivan online, booking and scheduling was very easy. To start the lesson we met Ivan on Waikiki Beach away from the busy main beach where everyone else is surfing. Ivan was very good at explaining the basics and safety tips prior to heading to the beach where the on beach portion of the lesson began. My wife was a little nervous and hesitant at first, but Ivan was helpful, patient and encouraging and in the end she was able to get up on the board. She loved it so much that we can’t wait to come back. Ivan is an excellent instructor and would highly recommend him for surfing lessons. Thanks Ivan for a great day in the water, we can’t wait to bring our daughters and do it again.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and me took a lesson two days ago and it was really great. We chose the group lesson which means 4 persons per one instructor for 90$ per person.
The waves were nor very high that day but still we cought a few good ones and i really got into it. This was my first time wave surfing but i have some experience with wind surfing and i cought almost every wave Ivan pushed me in. My girlfriend who had no experience at all had a harder time but also managed it to ride some waves.
In sum the lesson was about two and a half hours long from which we spent at least 90 minutes in the water.

I would definitely go there again but maybe i would choose a private lesson next time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2017

My 3 teenage girls have been hounding me to write this review of Ivan and their 1st ever surfing lesson! I was impressed because I called on short notice and he was able to fit them in before we had to leave Hawaii. He was always very nice and friendly. There were 6 in their lesson and 2 instructors so 3:1 ratio. The girls felt like they got plenty of attention/instruction from Ivan. The girls say they were impressed because:
He went over the basics on land which eased their fears. He was funny and easy going which made him comfortable to be around and therefore easier to learn and understand his instructions. They were on land about 20 min and in the water 1.5 to 1.75 hrs!! They caught several waves and all were flying high with excitement when it was over. They wanted to rent boards the next day and go again but alas their arms were still like noodle the next day! (So really build up your arm strength 1st if you have time!!) They go too far out in the ocean to take pictures from land unless you have a telephoto lens.....I think he has water photo service but you need to let him know ahead of time and I don't know how much that runs since we didn't ask for it. It's about the experience anyway!! And this is one experience they will always remember--surfing with Ivan and Hook Up Surfing in Hawaii. They all wanted to say thank you Ivan for making their trip a blast!! Mahalo