“Great for time for surf newbies ”
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Had a lot of fun surfing for the first time with Ivan and his crew from Hook Up Surfing. We had a little booking snafu with some miscommunication on the date. Ivan went out of his way to make it happen for us.
We had a group of 8. None of us had ever been surfing before. Ivan brought out 3 assistants who kept track of all of us and helped us catch some waves. Most of us got up on the boards eventually. Ivan was great for pointing out little adjustments to make that would improve your form and help you get up.
2 hours was a good amount of time for the lesson. Long enough to have some success and be pretty worn out by the end. Hard to remember everything from the pre-safety and basics talk at the beginning but you got the idea pretty fast once on the board. We walked our boards down from the street to the sand which made you feel like a real surfer!
Would recommend that participants be in pretty good shape. You'll be doing a good bit of paddling as well as hoisting yourself up on the board for most of 2 hours. Think my gym time was a big help! Also, you need to be a fairly good swimmer who can handle being knocked around some by the waves. If you are prone to motion sickness, be aware this activity may make you nauseous. I would not have guessed that one but my husband did get sea sick!
All in all, it was a really good time and highlight of our Hawaii vacation.

Date of experience: June 2017
"hawaii trip"
"bucket list"
"other companies"

Reviewed 27 June 2017

My dream came true...I surfed in Hawaii thanks to Ivan and Jennifer. I did a group surf lesson that was explained and taught very well, they made sure we were safe, they try to get you as many rides( I did and I am hooked) as possible and give you tips and positive energy every time you are up for a wave. I also booked a private Sup lesson and again what a great learning experience. I can't thank Ivan and Jennifer enough for making my trip the most memorable. If I ever get the chance to go back that will be the first thing I do ... book my lesson with Hook up Surfing!! Keep well Ivan and Jennifer.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Thank you Ivan Duque & Jennifer Lee for the most incredible surf vacation, taking us to the 3 different surf breaks based on wave conditions, & making time for us. I and my 10 year old son progressed significantly during the week sizing down boards. Myself from 12ft to 9, and my son from 9 to 7....I think another week may get us close to shortboard territory! Recall I have only surfed twice before this! We hope to see you again!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 26 May 2017

We did a lesson with Ivan last week and it was so much fun! This was the first time my daughters have surfed and it's been over 20 years since I have (and I was never any good) and we all stood up quite a few times during our lesson. Ivan was so great, this was the highlight of our trip to Honolulu. We will definitely do lessons with Hook up Surfing next time we are in Honolulu. Thanks Ivan!!

Date of experience: May 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 May 2017

My husband and I had a semi-private lesson with Ivan for 2 days, and we had the best time! We got up within a few tries on our first day, the second day Ivan took us to bigger waves that were closer to 6-7ft

What is great about Hook-up Surfing is that they take you to a beach in Waikiki, but away from the Waikiki crowds, so you dont have too many people to dodge. The surfers around us were experienced, very few beginners where we were.

Ivan was very encouraging and cheering on when we did good, and pointing out our few mistakes so that we would correct it the next time around

I would recommend anyone wanting to learn surfing, with proper techniques and in an un-crowded area, to go with Ivan and Jenn

Date of experience: May 2017