“Great!!”

Panera Bread
Ranked #62 of 257 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Deli
Description: From focusing on quality, clean ingredients to serving our food to you in a warm and welcoming environment, Panera Bread is committed to being an ally to our guests. That means crafting a menu of soups, salads and sandwiches that we are proud to feed our families. You don't have to compromise to eat well. Whether you want to come in and enjoy a coffee and our complimentary Wi-Fi , or order online using Rapid Pick-Up so you can grab something quickly, Panera Bread Newport is here with warmth and welcome. Panera Bread. Food as it should be.
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

I always get great food at Panera!! Long line, but there were plenty of seats! Hopefully they install the self service register soon to help with that line!

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Arrived with a totally full restaurant. But This Panera Bread knows how to move crowds of people quickly. Pay, get beeper, ten minutes food is ready for pick up. Can not beat this service with a big smile. Thanks.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We went to Panera for a bagel and tea. I had my rewards card and wanted to order my free bagel. My sister went first and her exchange went fine with her card. I went up and the girl at the register said my card was not registered. I get the emails, so I told her I was not sure what the problem was. She would still not give me the free bagel. She gave me a new card and told me to register it. I ordered my tea and went and set up my new card. I went back to the register and told her I could not register the new card because my email is already registered with the new card. I had to use another email with the new card. She rang up the bagel and I was confused because the bagel is supposed to be free. She said no, because the new card will not have rewards on it. I told her never mind. As I walked away she called me crazy to one of her co workers. My sister and I walked out.
I know it is just a bagel, but that was not the point. It annoys me that people who work in customer service are no longer able or choose to provide service.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I've eaten at several Panera's but wouldn't call myself a regular. This was an awful experience. Long line, unorganized, clueless and poorly prepared food. Definitely not the Panera standard I've enjoyed elsewhere. Avoid.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

(I rated this five out of five compared with other restaurants of its sort - not compared with luxury, sit-down restaurants with extensive menus, linen tablecloths, and romantic atmosphere.)

I ate here twice - both times ordering a salad and a sandwich. The lettuce was crisp and fresh, perfectly combined with other ingredients and dressing to make up one of the handful of best salads I've ever had (and this without a creamy, calorie-filled dressing)! I've found you can often base a whole restaurant on its tuna. Some places give you light brown tuna in a flavorless mayonnaise; not this one.

I had asked for my tuna on sourdough, which they said they had. The bread appeared to be (although I can't be sure) store-bought, and did not taste like or have the consistency of sourdough, although it was extremely fresh. The bread they gave me on the side was homemade and delicious, with the butter (available separately at no charge) of good quality.

The first time I requested a sandwich, I said I wanted tuna with lettuce and tomato. The person taking the order asked if I wanted onions on it; I said no. I got a sandwich with tuna, lettuce, and tomato. The second time I requested a sandwich, I said I wanted tuna with tomato. It came with tomato, lettuce, and onion. So I'm guessing those three ingredients are standard, and if you are not very specific about what you want AND don't want, and if the person taking the order forgets to ask, you will get all three.

It seems that all or most orders come with either fresh bread or an apple.

Both times, although the restaurant was busy, my meal was served with a minimum of wait time. (You are given a pager, which goes off when your food is ready; you then go to the counter to pick it up.) Although I did not use it, I noticed that Panera also has an order-online feature, where your food is bagged and ready to pick up when you get there.

There is a simple fireplace in the restaurant, with a warmer area and a less warm area. I thought it was nice that the place gives its customers a choice. (This was winter.) There is no atmosphere to speak of in the restaurant, but it is clean and not unpleasant. It has two entrances, and what may not be apparent to those coming off the main road that its back door opens into an area with walkways surrounded by shops - some franchised and some quaint and unique.