“Still good”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had not been in years - it changed hands a few times and we never made it back in, but it s still good. Great choices, acceptable portion size, and good chocolate molten for dessert. Great polenta, though the mashed leave a bit to be desired. Good specials at reasonable prices.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We again chose to go to Cafe Zelda out of all the restaurants in Newport because of the atmosphere. Called at 4pm and we lucky enough to get an 8:30 reservation on Valentine's Day. We were seated promptly and had our drink orders filled just as fast. We were offered bread & oil, and enjoyed that as we waited for our cup of Chowder. Their chowder is nice, lighter than a traditional cup, but very flavorful & filled with clams. My Bride had the seared Tuna and I had the Filet. Both were cooked to order and were absolutely delicious. A creme brule topped off our evening. This is my second review for Cafe Zelda and I would recommend to anyone who ends up in Newport on a special occasion.

2  Thank captcap
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I called and made reservations for my husband and myself for our anniversary. This being our first time I asked if there was a "special" table, we were in a comfy and cozy corner. Nice atmosphere, quiet, soft lighting. Food was FANTASTIC!! To start we had clam chowder. Very flavorful and clams were so tender!! I had the short ribs with a port wine reduction, they were melt in your mouth delicious and the sauce was so good on the potatoes! My husband had the bouillabaisse. It was terrific!! Broth was amazing and filled with perfectly cooked seafood (tons of it!!) cod, mussels, scallops, shrimp, clams. He said it reminded him of summers on Salt Pond. Our server was perfect, attentive without being annoying. We were also pleasantly surprised with the bill. Everything including drinks for $93!! Overall a perfect evening, I would recommend this place to anybody!!!!

2  Thank btr14334
Reviewed 31 January 2012

One of the best places in newport. The food is always good. The service is at times a bit casual but always efficient. But you can't not enjoy the atmosphere. Ask about the foie gras burger. I know... But you'll be pleasantly surprised!!!

1  Thank loves2eatout_11
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Cafe Zelda is a small restaurant located in the Lower Thames Street area of Newport.
The menu is nicely varied and everything is very fresh!!

The Bar is nicely appointed and a great spot for locals. Overall a very enjoyable spot,
frequented by the locals. Try the pork chops---you will not be disappointed!!