“Fine Dining At Its Best”

Restaurant Bouchard
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Bouchard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 253 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Bouchard Restaurant, a warm relaxed ambiance and gracious welcome signals your arrival. The restaurant serves fine French cuisine in a 1785 Georgian-style house.
Reviewed 19 March 2018

My wife and I had dinner at the Bouchard Inn & Restaurant last week. It was one of the best meals we have had in a long time. From start to finish, all of our courses were prepared, plated and presented in first-class fashion. It was as close to eating in France as you will get in the Northeast. The dining room we ate in was well-lit and we had no difficulty with reading the menu or seeing what we were eating. We started with the beef carpaccio as a cold appetizer, then moved on to the next course . . . my wife had the lobster bisque and I had the salad of mixed baby greens. For entrees, we had the lamb chop and I had the sliced filet of beef with port-wine demi-glace. We shared the souffle dessert. Every bite was delicious. Our waiter, Max, was excellent and didn't miss a beat all night. Yes, a meal here is very expensive, but if you want to make it a special evening with a loved one, I'd highly recommend it. Bon appetit!

1  Thank ScubaBobStl

Reviewed 12 March 2018

I am happy to report that Bouchard Restaurant continues to present a superior dining experience. Although my previous review is dated 2011, my husband and I have dined at Bouchard since then and just recently. Chef Albert Bouchard is consistent in offering a variety of new menu options and perfectly preparing the food. I especially enjoyed the fluffy mashed potatoes topped with a colorful array of precisely cut vegetables. Our head server, Max Putier, supervised the details and timing of courteous and impeccable service by the Bouchard team. Be sure to have a souffle as a finale. It is heavenly!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

We ate there for our anniversary and do so every year. The atmosphere is great and while this year it was not quite as good as in previous years, it was still an excellent way to celebrate.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

My wife and I got away for a weekend in Newport and Restaurant Bouchard was on our list as we are foodies. Reservations are a must and proper attire is equally appreciated and requested. We opened with a house cocktail and Riesling, then fresh from the oven bread was served. My wife opted for the lobster bisque as she does in so many places, while I chose the warm tomato tart. The bisque was the best we've ever had- and we've sampled many! The tomato tart was decadent, bursting with flavor atop a flaky, buttery puff pastry. Entrees included the coffee crusted duck breast and the stuffed lobster. My wife loved the duck itself but struggled with the coffee pairing. I had the stuffed lobster that was outstanding. On the bottom of the carapace, several large scallops bedded in there nicely. The lobster broth with the savory lobster meat and whipped potatoes were a delight. We finished with the soufflé and puff pastry with ice cream and caramel sauce. The soufflé was akin to eating a warm, sweet cloud. Dan was a great server, guiding us with his knowledge of the menu and ingredients. We look forward to dining here again!

1  Thank Fred A
Reviewed 8 February 2018

After reading reviews we decided to try Bouchard tonight. Our overall experience was not as exceptional as other reviewers. The room feels old and was in my opinion, too dark. Although menu items sounded good, my pear salad was limp. My husband had the lobster ravioli special and it was excellent. I then had the veal chop which was cooked perfectly but the mushroom sauce, while good was just too much. It covered the bottom of the plate as well as the top of the chop. My husband had the squab. Again, cooked perfectly but way too much sauce. The vegetables were puréed and were exactly the same on both plates. I'm pretty sure every plate in the restaurant got the same veggies. Dessert was Grand Mariner soufflé. Very good. The service was not great. The waiter never came back to refill our wine glasses after he served the first glass. Maybe they are better staffed on the weekend but I felt as though they should have had one more person on the floor as there were only two people working. I have spent a lot of time in France and Bouchard seems to want to be an "old France" type of restaurant. The type that really doesn't exist anymore. It just didn't work for us. There are better restaurants in Newport.

Been to Restaurant Bouchard? Share your experiences!