“Great chowder and lobster salad.”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 257 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$15 - US$55
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Every year my friends and I take a day trip to Newport. We always take the time to have lunch at the Black Pearl. The food is always delicious. The chowder is wonderful. The lobster salad is amazing. It is served over lettuce with dressing served on the side. The only drawback was the lettuce was a bit gritty.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,612)

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My wife and I dined at the Commodore Room and enjoyed a fabulous meal. Because, well just because, I made it my calling to sample clam chowder during a short week visit to the Newport area, and Black Pearl had the best chowder by far of the six versions I tasted. This was not clam chowder aka potato soup, but a true clam chowder with a healthy portion of delicious clams in a soup that was not overly cream-laden. A very pure and fresh version which I highly recommend. The raw oysters were fabulous as well (as they should be in Newport). We each had the fish special which again was beautifully prepared, seasoned just right (meaning also not too much) and very tasty. The service was excellent and the atmosphere and view matched the caliber of the food and staff.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We were vacationing in Newport and friends had guided us to the Black Pearl. Also suggested was to try their Clam Chowder and Mussles. We had them both and they were AMAZING!. The beer was cold, service was terrifice and the location on the wharf is one not to miss.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

We ate at the Black Pearl after an afternoon of sailing at Newport Harbor. We went for the chowder and it did not disappoint. Since this was our last night of vacation, I splurged for lobster tails and they were great. My wife had a fish dish and while I can't remember the kind, I know she enjoyed hers too. Our server was terrific and she made the meal even better. They do a brisk business especially during the tourist season so make a reservation.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Always my favorite New England style cam chowder in Newport (a great city for clam chowder) we did the carry-out from the Black Pearl for lunch and it was just as outstanding as I remembered from my years living in Newport.

1  Thank R B

Been to Black Pearl? Share your experiences!