“Fantastic Lobster Roll in a cool setting”
Review of Clarke Cooke House

Clarke Cooke House
Ranked #44 of 257 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Reviewed 28 June 2016

This place delivers really nice, fresh, high quality seafood in the classic Northeastern tradition. My father and I ate here, sat at the bar, and both had lobster rolls and ales. The lobster roll was piled high with big chunks of meat and I was really impressed with the freshness and moistness.

Great spot.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

I had my 40th birthday party at Clarkes Cooke House and one of my guests was turned away because of how he was dressed which was jeans, button down denim shirt and sneakers. He didn't look schleppy or not well put together either. He was turned away by one of the bowtie waiters who then said "I will let him in if you can guarantee that no one else in your party will look like him". Exact words. Again....my 40th birthday party with 15 people....spending money...and one of my guests is being turned away. Are you kidding me? So the events person never informed us of a "dress code" which no one in that restaurant was really "dressed" for anything, and we were not informed that there was a swanky high end menu that we could only choose from and no kid options whatsoever. They were also going to inconvenience my party by moving us to a "more casual" area even though I was informed I could sit upstairs on the deck facing the water. Which makes total sense to inconvenience a big party because you don't like the way someone is dressed (SARCASM). I don't mind spending money....it was especially my birthday so I really didn't care how much I spent. I can guarantee that I will not step foot in this establishment again and will be more than happy to spend my money somewhere else. There are a lot of other fantastic restaurants that do not discriminate. Don't go here folks. it isn't worth it. Trust me!

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Food and service are reliably good and the Sunday brunch is the best in town. I have never had a dinner that wasn't very good to excellent--highly recommended! And the sushi bar in the summer is fabulous!

Reviewed 25 June 2016

The restaurant was recommended by our B&B innkeeper. We arrived without a reservation - it would have only been a short wait, but we elected to sit at the bar and are glad we did. It was populated with locals and we had great conversations over delicious mussels and salad. The bartender (Mark?) was attentive and funny.

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

We were due to celebrate a 40th birthday. Despite the fact that the host had asked for the dress code multiple times, we were told 'casual.' I dressed casually and was turned away from the restaurant.

1  Thank james_diveinstructor

Been to Clarke Cooke House? Share your experiences!