“Pleasantly surprised ”

Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad - Dinner Train
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

While I have read the others review of the lunch train I will have to disagree. It appears they have changed since many others have traveled on the trip. The rail car is a nicely restored vintage dining car with comfortable seating. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

As to the views from the train; you travel through residential, industrial areas, a golf course and a navy base with Narragansett bay as the back drop. While the view isn't as spectacular as train ride on side of a mountain the view of the water makes up for it.

The food was amazing they definitely have a chef that knows how to cook. I had the turkey stuffing and cranberry sandwich which included a cup of soup or a salad and desert. I asked for my sandwich to be done differently and asked for gravy on the side and they were very accommodating. My husband had the open turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes.

It appears they have made great improvements based off of the previous reviews and I applaud the owners.

The lunch was a leisurely time spent enjoying the views and the food. I would certainly recommend it.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

What a great experience! New owner Eric Moffet has hit the mark! Newly renovated dining car .. The Grand Bellevue Bistro is a winner. We had a three course gourmet meal...prepared fresh by an Executive Chef. We both had the beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and wild rice, fresh bruschetta and salad, bread...and tarimisu for dessert! Bonus was the music...husband wife duo ZanRicky made our night. You gotta check them out for a romantic evening or special excursion. Trainsri.com Great staff too. Thank you!

1  Thank ZanRicky
Reviewed 14 October 2016

the train trip was more than expected - the price for dinner and train trip was $29.95 - salad, entree and desert, coffee - tea - water - and the wait staff was excellent

Reviewed 14 October 2016

the food was excellent, staff very accommodating. It was a very gentle rolling around the bay with wonderful views of the bay. It was cloudy so we did not get to see much of a sunset but it was very relaxing night.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

What to say...I wish I could have those 90 minutes back. I don't understand why anyone would even think this should be a venue of any kind. All the views were horrible...trash all along the rails...where is the attraction?

My husband and I went on, what was supposed to be, a girls lunch...they had booked, but couldn't make it. There were 2 other couples on the train. There was supposed to be 4 options for lunch...all sandwiches. The one I chose wasn't available. Settled for chicken salad. The food was like something you would get at a Cumberland Farms, or convenient store. They were out of coffee...on a cold, rainy, raw day. We got water.

The jukebox (supposedly one of the attractions), didn't work. Sooo...we sat there looking at each other...eventually challenging each other as to which brand of trash we would see next. Will it be Kentucky Fried, or Bud Lite?

We also had ice cream. Folks, if you're going to charge what you charge for this venue, at LEAST get good ice cream. It tasted like ice milk. Not good.

As someone from Rhode Island, knowing that this is a tourist venue...I'm truly embarrassed. You'll see I posted photos of our views. They were as good as it got.

MAYBE, IF you went at night (when you can't see the surrounding areas), AND you had a comedian as entertainment, AND you served good food and liquor, this would be worth it.