“Excited to visit an observatory”
Review of Lowell Observatory

Lowell Observatory
Ranked #3 of 109 things to do in Flagstaff
More attraction details
Owner description: Lowell Observatory, founded in 1894, is a non profit astronomical research and educational outreach institution located on Mars Hill one mile west of Flagstaff, Arizona. For visitors, the Observatory offers telescope viewing, exhibits and science center, daytime guided tours, safe viewing of the Sun, multimedia programs, shows in the McAllister Space Theatre, special events throughout the year, and an astronomy gift shop.
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Disappointed extremely not worth the money presentation just talk and photos handed out to look at took the Pluto tour and got never to see an observatory. What a false presentation
One Building in disrepair lecture in a building wreaking of smoke smell from none active fireplace lecturer was aware of it and continued on go to a different observatory

Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Really interesting and quirky. We learned a lot and had fun. If you are interested in astronomy you must stop here. Go early and return later and you will get your money's worth for sure.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

This was our first time to explore Flagstaff with a stay even though we live in the Valley of the Sun some 2 1/2 hours away. I've loved visiting the New York Planetarium when I was a child growing up in NYC. Looking at the stars and planets, well, it's just amazing. Lowell Observatory's campus is beautiful, just to walk around. There were a couple of unique star gazing instruments through which we saw some sun flares and sun spot. The other instrument showed the bands of color of the sun which tell which elements the sun contains. Marvelous. Jim was our tour guide.....excellent....Jim was so enthusiastic in his presentation, that we followed him through the other presentations that he gave that day. Well worth spending the time and getting the tours. This is a privately owned establishment. It also houses researchers on its campus.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Glad I stopped by for a visit. Lots of parking in the early afternoon, excellent tours and films. An interesting place for people of all ages who are interested in space.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Not worth the $28 (with AAA discount) admission fee.

The person who presented the lectures on Pluto and the telescope was a terrible orator. He tended to mumble and sounded as if he had memorized the speech so there was no passion or excitement during his monologue. I'm embarrassed to say, I actually fell asleep for a moment. I can honestly say that I've never done that before.

I stayed to see the solar telescope. What a let down that was. The astronomer said that we would see bumpy edges which was exploding gasses but all I saw was a static ball of bright orange-red.

The gift shop items were over-priced and the person manning the register was one of the most sullen and least polite people I have ever met. Couldn't be bothered to even pretend to be enjoying himself. And soooooo slow.

The most exciting event of the day was the Abert Squirrel that tried to run up my husbands leg and the deer standing on the edge of the property as we left.

Anyway, I would give this one a pass.

Been to Lowell Observatory? Share your experiences!