“A little bit of everything, in one place”

The Blue Cactus Cantina
Ranked #9 of 486 Restaurants in Murfreesboro
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Description: Blue Cactus Cantina is a fusion of southwest and cajun creole cuisines.
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

So I had an expectation of your typical Mexican place. Not so fast, my friend. The menu is eclectic, with tacos, blackened chicken fettuccine Alfredo, shrimp & grits, just to name a few items. Queso and chips were on point. My nephew had the blackened salmon tacos and I had the crimini mushrooms & chicken over red skin mashed potatoes. See, I told you it was eclectic. They were pretty packed when we arrived, which we took as a good sign. Service was decent- not outstanding, as it took a pretty good while to get our queso but our entrees arrived pretty quickly after that. Server was friendly. Decent value for the amount by of food we got. I will visit again when I’m in that part of town.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

We had not been to the Blue Cactus Cantina in about 10 months, and we decided to go on a Saturday evening. We arrived about 6.15p.m. and found the place half empty, which was an amazement in itself. Blue Cactus has been a fave for us for years, and was the #1 rated restaurant in the area. Things have changed, folks. I can't really describe it, but it's like the magic is gone. The business is under new ownership, first off. The menu, known for its exciting weekend specials, was the same as always. Coffee Steak was the special. Meh. The food was still good. Our server was adequate, although my spouse & I commented that everyone on the serving staff acted a bit high. Service was slow and rather disjointed. I didn't really enjoy it, and we both commented we probably would not frequent the place in the future. Apparently, from the looks of the crowd, which by 7.30 had petered out, lots of folks agree with us. :(

2  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

No food for one hour and ten minutes—no apologies; no offer of an appetizer; no explanation; just no food. NEVER had worse service anywhere! Only stayed because we had another couple to visit with.

1  Thank Disappointed1000X
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

I went to the Blue Cactus for a quick dinner. It was my first visit. I just came into town from Atlanta and wanted a comfortable yet unique food experience. This place combines Mexican and cajun foods along with a few American items with a cajun twist.

I ordered the Blackened Salmon tacos and the side of beans. I wanted a certain porter to drink but they no longer carry it, although it was on the menu. The waiter was apologetic and gave me a sample of another beer. It was okay but I went with a Blue Moon on tap. Later the waiter td me they had 50 cent Marguaritas and decided to try one.

The waiter was very attentive and ensured that I was doing okay. The food was great. The black salmon tacos were $10.95, the draft was 3. I was given a bit of a cut in the price due to the original beer was not available.

I would come back. The atmosphere was low key, relaxing and the food choices unique and varied.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We had been there several times and the food was amazing! This time, 2 of the 3 meals at our table had bad beef. I told the waitress and she acknowledged someone previously complaining about a steak that smelled on the down side of bad. I didn’t make a big fuss about it and I still tipped our waitress 20%. It’s the only time in my life that I can recall being served rotten meat. I’m torn now because this was my favorite little restaurant. I haven’t been back and I’m not sure if I will go back. Health inspector advised me that it was under recent ownership change so could they be irresponsible ? Could they have let a cooler fail? At any rate, the cook should have recognized the smell of decomposition before and after he/she cooked it. I just want this to be known if anyone has had the same issue, you’re not alone.

1  Thank Tony A