“Standard, passable accomdations for a small town” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Luray Shenandoah

Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Cleveland, Ohio
“Standard, passable accomdations for a small town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed here during a trip to Shenandoah National Park this spring. Check in was quick and painless; the clerk was neither friendly nor unfriendly.

The room had seen some heavy use. The carpet was worn and dirty in a few spots, the bathroom vent was very dirty and the shower tub was dingy and faded. However, this may have been just due to age and heavy seasonal use instead of a lack of effort on the cleaning staff.

Beds were average, but comfortable enough after a day of hiking. For the price, it is about what one should expect.

I'd recommend stopping at the Wal-Mart nearby to get some breakfast foods because most rooms had refridgerators. The free breakfast was lackluster and consisted of coffee, toast, and some prepackaged danish/mini muffins. Since the only reason to visit Luray is for hiking/backpacking nearby, I'd recommend starting out with a healthier, heartier breakfast before that. There are a couple of decent breakfast places in town too, but get an early start to beat the crowds.

The highlight of the place is the awesome view of Shenandoah you have from the rear of the property. Amazing. Also, it is right on the crossroad that leads into the park--only about a 7-10 minute drive from the ~30 mile marker entran

Overall, for the purpose and price, not a bad place to stay, but they could attract repeat visitors if they improved the breakfast and repainted/touched up a few of the rooms and improved some fixtures. THis may sound odd, but the lighting in the rooms is dingy and depressing, I found it hard to wake up in the morning since it was so dim in the room.

--Final note, since I went in May, it was still rainy and cool, so we did not get a chance to use the pool.

FInal verdict, recommended for short stays and in the summer months for their AC and proximity to the park.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wraiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Northeast Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband, teenage son and I stayed here on a stopover to the Outer Banks, we wanted to see the Luray Caverns which were right nearby. We were greeted by very friendly and helpful people at the front desk, they gave us a map and directions to the town of Luray and places to eat. This hotel is just a little bit out of town but in a very beautiful scenic area, nice views of the mountains. The accommodations are basic but all we needed was a place to sleep and an internet connection, so it fit the bill. The beds were pretty firm, but it was for just one night. I don't take much notice of the decor at most places, so I can't comment. The free breakfast was the usual but once again, it's all we needed. There was a pool, but we didn't use it. It was a standard outside access motel, but more than sufficient for our overnight needs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank blackcat725
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We decided to stay here because of the continental breakfast and the outward appearance. We should have looked at our room first because we chose a "Victorian" and found it to be a disappointment. The room was overcrowded with mismatched beat-up (antique?) furniture that looked like it came from a garage sale or flea market. The chairs were filthy and the mattress worn out. The pool looked like it had not been cleaned in days. The water was murky and was pretty much being used as a public bath. The staff was very friendly but we wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't know how the rest of the place is but don't get a "Victorian" room.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FamilyAEAL

Travellers are raving about these Luray hotels

Bucks County, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Days Inn. We usually stay at B and Bs or hotels, but owing to the scarcity of options in the Shenandoah NP area we booked a room at the Days Inn. We had made reservations online, but when we got to the area we found an advertisement for a lower rate. The front desk employee was happy to give us the lower rate even though the ad said it was for walk-in guests only.

The room itself was very clean and larger than I had expected it to be. It had a refrigerator and microwave. The pool on site was great. It was large, very clean, with a gorgeous view of the mountains. The exercise room was a former inn room with three pieces of excercise equipment in it, but my daughter loved it and it was a highlight for her.

The location is outstanding. It was very close to Shenandoah National Park (our main purpose for visiting the area) as well as Luray Caverns. The town of Luray is lovely and very friendly, with a very nice biking/walking path along a stream, and we saw the most amazing 4th of July fireworks ever there.

The continental breakfast was pretty bad, but about what we expected it to be considering the very low price of the room--basically white flour/sugar products. However, coffee, tea, juices, apples, and oranges were available as well.

The staff were courteous and helpful overall.

We were very pleased with our stay and would recommend the inn to others.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Weaverville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My stay here was very quiet and I had no complaints. I arrived after an afternoon at Luray Caverns and the gentleman at the front desk who first greeted me was very friendly. I had selected this particular hotel after reading reviews on several other comparable places in Luray. When I booked this hotel, it was a little more than I wanted to pay, but did NOT have any complaints of bedbugs like my second choice (and cheaper) hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when the woman who checked me in said that the online price was not the correct price and she then charged me the best price amount, which was cheaper. I felt that this showed they were being honest. (Perhaps it would be better to call to make a reservation to make sure you are getting the correct price.) The location was close to the caverns and in a quiet, rural setting. They had an adult pool, kids' pool, and mini golf (which I did not try), though the kids' pool was closed for repair. I did have some trouble with my cell service, since Luray in general is such a rural area, so I was glad I had brought my laptop (they had free internet.) All in all, it was a pleasant, quiet stay. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank shadamai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
4.1 km away
23.2 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
22.0 km away
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to Days Inn Luray Shenandoah? Share your experiences!