“amazing”

Luray Caverns
Ranked #4 of 34 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Reviewed 13 July 2018

we arrived early and was the 2nd group to enter. the guide was nice and answered any and all questions. took a flannel shirt to wear inside, but was not needed. tour felt a little rushed, but was nice. I walk with a cane, and did not have any trouble maneuvering the tour.

1  Thank Cass W
Write a ReviewReviews (4,024)
All reviews
in 91 reviews
"ticket price"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Did this on a summer Wednesday with members of my family ranging in age from 2 to 82 and it turned out to not be the best excursion for either extreme. At least the 2 kids (mostly bored) were free. I’m not sure my parents enjoyed it for worrying about every step. I’m surprised that there didn’t appear to be any warnings about the 70 steps down (and back up) or the sometimes slippery pathways in the caverns. Where there were railings, they seemed new and sturdy, but there were none in some uphill spots where there definitely should have been handholds. Nor is there anywhere to sit for even a moment. The caverns are quite beautiful but $28 is pricey for a 90-minute cave crawl. (We didn’t go to the car or toy museums since our parents were worn out.)

1  Thank EMCPhiladelphia
Reviewed 11 July 2018

We were a group of 11 family and friends and Luray was our goal destination for our week in the Shenandoah Valley. We got there around 10:00 and managed to get in right away after buying tickets. Our guide, Kollin (sp?) was fantastic! Super knowledgeable and full of bad rock related puns. I can't add anything to others' descriptions of how breathtaking and varied the formations are. it really is an amazing place. My only complaint was that my bum knee acted up after walking for almost an hour over the well "paved" but uneven surfaces and I wish I would've brought my knee brace. Very much worth the price of admission!

1  Thank jleuenberger
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

One of the largest Cave systems in the US. You will enjoy the cool air of underground as well as the beauty of nature in the caves. The guided tour through the lighted passageways was really great& they point out many formations. When I was younger I used to explore non-commercial (aka Wild Caves) they were Awesome, but so is this type of commercial cave system.
Included in the ticket price is also the "Car and Carriage Museum "which features many vintage automobiles including a "Conestoga Wagon" and a "1892 Mercedes", also included is "Toy Town Museum". They have a nice gift shop and food is available.
The caves & the museums are very good for both adults and children.

1  Thank GeorgeH-LI_NY-ExPat