Sierra Lodge
US$165
US$143
US$121
  • Breakfast included
Rio Sierra Riverhouse(Three Rivers)
US$391
US$330
US$342
US$144
US$139
BestWestern.com
Super 8 Lindsay Olive Tree(Lindsay)(Great Value!)
US$102
TripAdvisor
The Log House Lodge(Three Rivers)
TripAdvisor
Kaweah Chakra Resort(Three Rivers)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssequoia npdecent place to stayrustic feelspacious roomretroentrancefireplacemicrowaveice
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The Sierra Lodge.

Okay, so I wish I could give 4 stars for the service and 2 stars for the room. Here's how it breaks down:

The Service: I rolled into Three Rivers on a Friday afternoon with NO reservations. I walked in and was helped by a really friendly woman who kindly informed me they had no vacancies that night, but they DID have one the following night. She then recommended another inn where I could stay that night (who strangely only had a vacancy THAT night and not the following), and let me use her phone to arrange it (there's NO reception anywhere in Three Rivers).

The following morning, I arrived at 8:30am with my bags (since I had checked out of the other hotel). I asked if I could leave my bags with them until I got back down from the mountain and they happily obliged. When I returned 10 hours later, I grabbed the key and found my bags in my room. Great service.

As for the room, it had a king bed and a balcony/patio area with a sliding glass door and a table and 2 chairs. There was a (reserved?) parking spot right in front of the room and the decor is dated, but kind of charming. There was a coffeemaker and mini-fridge, plus bottled water, coffee and all the accessories. There was a table and chairs in the room as well, plus a large window facing the parking lot. I had no problem finding an outlet, unlike some other reviewers. However, there was no pen/notepad nor a sleep timer on the remote - which was a bummer. The wi-fi was fine, reasonably fast.

Here's the main problem - the bathroom was dirty. There was (OHMYGOD) a pubic hair on the wall in the shower. And the shower was a stall, which means it was really hard not to brush against it at times. After I saw that, I couldn't stop imagining what else I had touched. The sink and toilet also didn't look like they had been cleaned recently.

Lastly, they advertise a free continental breakfast, but I didn't get to try it because the office doesn't open until 8am. I stopped by at 7:30, banged on the door for a few minutes, then saw the sign. Maybe I'm an early-bird, but I feel like 7am is a much more reasonable time considering they're catering to people about to embark on full-day tours of Sequoia National Park. Also, there's not much to do in Three Rivers, so I bet most people sleep early and wake early.

Ultimately, I wouldn't stay here again. Yes, the bathroom situation could have been a one-off. And yes, they were super helpful at the front desk. But I left with a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think that will change over time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank ichbinseins
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed here while visiting the Sequoia National Park and enjoyed it very much. The room was nice, clean and staff was very friendly. Couple of things about Three Rivers and Sierra Lodge:

Three Rivers:
It is a very small place.
If you go off season (Nov, Dec, Jan) most eating places will close at 3, 6 or 8 pm.
There are only 5-6 restaurants.
Closed "big" town is Visalia. It a Walmart, Walgreens and many more eating places.
Lunch and breakfast is relatively easy to manage compared to dinner.
If you are planning a long trip be prepared for the fact that you won't have very many food choices.

Lodge:

Is a good value for your money.
Is very close 5 miles from the entrance of the park.
Conveniently located near most of the restaurants.
Staff is quite friendly.
Carpets are clean, bathrooms are clean, beds are good, you get both hot and cold water, the air conditioning and heat works well.
You will only get pastries, oat meal and coffee for breakfast.

Room Tip: They have suites with Kitchen. Smaller suites have 1 bed, 1 futon. Bigger ones have 3 beds and kitchen. Ask about those rooms too!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A A
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We spent one night at the Sierra Lodge. It is a nice retro hotel located 5min from the Sequoia NP entrance. The room was nice and clean... even the furniture seemed to be originaly from the 60s, it was in good condition. The bathroom was also clean, with the exception of the shower curtain, which had black humidity stains... The only thing I would complain about is breakfast: very poor; just a couple of pasteries, some orange slices and oatmea packetsl, served at the reception area, where there is only one table (and it was taken). But I would definately recomend it or stay there again. I would just bring my own breakfast :)

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank atyam
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Excellent value for money. Rooms are clean and adequate with very good wifi over the whole site. Amazing to get any breakfast at the price charged, but the pastries were fresh each day and of good quality. Europeans wouldn’t want to drink the coffee or the juice. The oats were really good.

The highlight of this establishment are the staff, particularly Lisa and Stacey. Nothing is too much trouble. They are always cheerful and have great local knowledge, even of the most interesting and challenging hikes.

If you are intending to hike at Mineral King or the lovely Ladybug hike, this is the very best place to stay.

You can save money by using the barbeques and the steaks at the supermarket a couple of miles down the road are superb for both quality and value (I should know as I rear and butcher my own cattle).

Room Tip: No specific tips but the most basic rooms are the best value and perfectly adequate.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Howard D
Reviewed 22 October 2011

If you like and respect all things old, then you will like this lodge. It is conveniently located outside of Sequoia National Park. It was built in the 50s, and it definitely has a retro edge to it. Where else do you park below your room, go up a spiral staircase, and open your sliding glass door to gain access to it? It was clean and comfortable and has a great wifi signal (FREE). The breakfast was a basic continental and also was free. The service was great. Very friendly check-in and check-out. We would stay again! PS - Note that not all the rooms had spiral staircase access. There were several other rooms that are very accessible without stairs.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple