“Deliicious!”

White Elephant Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 245 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 24 August 2016

I've been here about 6 times and it's always good! I'm a big fan of Yellow Coconut Curry and this is one of the best ones iIve ever had! Love the purple rice too! I highly suggest this restaurant o anyone looking for great Thai food.

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Dear Friends who eat frequently at this Thai cuisine restaurant in Thousand Oaks, CA invited us to meet them. I met my husband there, and we plan to return based on the cuisine we ate, for example Tofu Curry.

However, the big "elephant is the room" is slow, inept service. There is no question about Front-of-Room earnestness and wanting to be helpful, but the huge problem it seems on eve we went was being understaffed (by our dinnermates' observation), and lack of familiarity with English, which necessitated some spontaneous pantomiming (for me, bowl was easier than fork). Our friends vow there are less expensive options around but not of such quality. Dress: quite casual. Family-friendly if loooooooong waits can be endured by kids (the out-of-patience baby crying so much was unsettling) P.S. The frustrating language situation started when I called to pinpoint location (Wilbur and Moorpark roads), and a woman who did not speak even basic English could not understand phrases such as "where are you located?"); took me a third call to finally get a youth versed in English to understand my simple question -- this place desperately needs simple marketing help such as a tape-recorded message that offers options spoken by an articulate professional: precise location and address, hours, menu sample and last, speak to human. White Elephant Thai Cuisine location is in the Whole Foods shopping center, FYI.

Reviewed 17 December 2015

This is the second time eating here and it was even worst than the first. Horrible customer service (two ladies next to me waited 30 minutes and one of them still did not get her food...and it was the lunch special). They finally just got up and left after repeated attempts to get food.

Our food did come out within 45 minutes, but it was cold. How can Pad Thai be cold? And if it says with chicken, I would think chicken would be in the dish. Just a greasy mess.

Only one waitress who did not speak English for the entire restaurant and only one cook (who also was handeling money) in the back. Trust me, it is not worth it.

1  Thank berniez
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

Hard to believe service this bad happened in California.

The drinks order took 20 minutes and was wrong, one of the starters was forgotten and turned up 20 minutes after everyone else had finished thiers despite several reminders to the staff.

One main course was delivered to the table well over half an hour before anyone else's turned up.

We were very relaxed and patient and yet instead of reacting positively to thier appalling service they attempted to justify it by claiming their waiter has listed items in the wrong order!

The food was OK. Classic Thai using common US ingredients in place of authentic.

We won't be coming back

Reviewed 29 November 2014

We just ate at the White Elephant and our experience tonight was abominable.

We have been regular patrons since we were introduced to this restaurant. In the past six months we have gone to this restaurant at least monthly. In the past six weeks we have had two experiences with terrible service - but tonight was incomprehensible.

After waiting nearly 20 minutes I got up and asked an elderly gentleman who appeared to either be a manager or owner to ask the waitress to come take our order. Even after asking to place our order we did not see a wait person for at least 5 minutes. Once our order was in it took 30 minutes for an order of spring rolls to be delivered and they were burned.

When our first course, orange chicken, was delivered to the table it was cold.
When a staff member brought the second course, pork chow mein, to the table I told them that the service this evening was very bad and that the orange chicken was cold. I asked them to bring the rest of our food so that we could eat and get our daughter to a social obligation. This individual told us that they would take the orange chicken off the bill.

When the bill came it included the orange chicken. We asked that it be removed and after waiting again for nearly 10 minutes the bill was brought back to us by a young lady who told us that the manager would not remove the dish from the bill but that it would be discounted 15%.

Rather than argue I paid the bill and leaving behind a note on the back of the ticket for the owner/manager to read.

Given that this was the second time in just a matter of weeks that we have experienced inexcusably bad service capped off by a burnt appetizer, a cold entree and owners/managers who clearly do not value repeat customers we will not be returning.

With the number of really good places to eat in TO we recommend steering clear of this place!