“Interesting sushi bar, well prepared dishes”
Review of Kanda Sushi

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kanda Sushi
Ranked #105 of 248 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Just opened three weeks ago. Best authentic Japanese sushi in Ventura County plus a very interesting menu.
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This is a very fine Japanese restaurant, with attentive, quiet wait staff, but my only complaint is that it is about 30% more expensive than other local Japanese restaurants I go to. When I dine out I usually order a few pieces of paired sashimi, a roll or two, and/or a seafood salad, which normally sets me back close to $40 with a 20% tip. This restaurant tolls in at $60 for the same, without tip. The restaurant is well known for salmon collar. It's a great place, but it's steep. I'd rather have a bit more food at Sushi Oaks, Tomodachi (Simi Valley) or Tomodachi in Newbury Park (different owners) or the Japanese restaurant in Dos Vientos.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

The food is good, bur kitchen is so slow.
Waiter is nice, hostess too. Food is nice and the menu is good. The issue is that the kitchen needs one more person

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Rafael M
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. Thousand Oaks really needs a great sushi place. Instead I will continue to drive to Calabasas.
Our lunch experience started with a NOT so pleasant waitress. She was down right rude. As we looked around you can't help but notice all the signage telling their customers what the WONT do. Don't even think about asking for a substitution or extra sauce (how dare we)
There were only four people in the place including us.
The sushi was average. Really not great. To make an unpleasant experience even worse. We were overcharged on our bill which we didn't discover until we got home.
Needless to say we will not be returning.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 1 January 2017

Been looking for a very high quality sushi bar since our favorite, Kaminari, closed last year. We tried tracking down out two favorite sushi chefs, Shingo & Tad. Shingo landed at Tomodachi, which serves low quality fish for the rolls and beer crowd. Tad landed at Kanda, so we gave it a try. We were blown away by the high quality fish and delicate preparations of Chef Kanda. The service was fantastic and the sushi by far the best I've had.

I opted to have Chef Kanda serve my meal omakase style (chef's choice). He must have brought me at least 12 different types of fish. Each unique, high quality and prepared flawlessly. Never need to even look at he soy sauce or ponzu sauce. The portions were not large by most standards but the fish was outstanding.

Be warned, it's not cheap and really no the place to get your California rolls, spicy tuna hand roll, sauce laden multi-fish rolls, etc- there are plenty of places for that type of Taco Bell sushi.

If you are a sushi aficionado and want the best and don't car if lunch for 2 without alcohol is upwards of $200. (closer to $300. actually), the you must try Kanda Sushi. You'll be spoiled and won't be able to eat at lesser places so be forewarned.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

My daughter had been talking this place up for a long long time so I asked her to take me there for my birthday. I was not in the least disappointed. We had a 10-12 ( lost track) course omakase - every piece was fresh as could be and delicious.

Date of visit: September 2016