“Good Food”

Los Magueyes Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 584 Restaurants in Santa Fe
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

The shrimp fajitas were very good and my wife really liked the refried beans. The margarita wasn’t that great but it also wasn’t very expensive. I would go back for the food. I suggest to the restaurant using a better tequila and fresh lime juice. Friendly Staff. Huge Menu. Lots of vegetarian options.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

I was hungry so opted to try the Grande Especial. At $12.75 I figured it would be a moderate amount if food. Wrong! It was overflowing! Chimichanga, chili relleno, taco, salad, burrito... it was fantastic! Ate quite a lot of it, but deginitely enough for two people. Fresh food & very tasty. Nice surroundings and friendly staff.

9  Thank Stephen Wayne F... B
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I can’t comment on the food, as I stopped in just for a libation before a concert at the Lensic theater, around the corner. I asked the owner what kinds of tequila he had and what varieties of margarita he offered. He said “Agave” and that he had just one type of margarita. He gave me a free sample, which tasted weak, but I didn’t have time to look for another oasis nearby.

After I had several swallows of the “margarita” and asked to see the bottle, he revealed that his liquor license is limited to beer and wine; the bottle said “Agave Wine” on the label and was 22% alcohol.

This is a small, quiet, family-run restaurant with a relaxing atmosphere. The proprietor, however, was disingenuous, if not downright deceptive. It was my misfortune to enter one of the few Mexican restaurants in Santa Fe that doesn’t have tequila (or any hard liquor) on the shelf, and my disappointment was compounded by the owner’s deviousness.

On the restaurant’s Web site, the home page boasts “Best House Margaritas!” but no mention is made of the reality at the bar, another example of the owner’s duplicity. (Also, the menus displayed on the site are too small and indistinct to read.)

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Around Santa Fe, there must be hundreds of "Northern New Mexico" cuisine restaurants. This restaurant is Mexican - Not Northern New Mexico! We has lunch there - I had a beef burrito with refried beans and rice, and my wife had Huevos Mexicanos. Both were most enjoyable. Providing chips and salsa as one sits down help make the wait for food pleasant. The food itself was hot and very tasty! In all, a thoroughly enjoyable lunch! Prices are very reasonable.

7  Thank travelogue6
Reviewed 7 November 2017

We just happened to go here because I noticed the sculpture of a Burro at the bottom of the alley. My husband heard some music coming from up the street and we followed it. The owner was so friendly and we entered. Well, the food, the excellent Cabernet sauvignon from
Chile and the music and friendly atmosphere were enough to tell us that we had found one of the best places in Santa Fe to have dinner!
That Sat we came back with our daughter and her husband and they
had a great piano man-singer-comedian and also other guest singers
and accordian player-singer to accompany the dinner! We all ate,
danced and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Their food is Excellent,
and the cost is very fair.

6  Thank harriet776