All reviews canyon road kiva fireplace return to santa fe other guests location was perfect cottage carolyn brady plaza roomy firewood
Reviewed 30 December 2016

I searched for months for a place to stay in Santa Fe that would allow me have my dogs and be close to town to be able to walk to places. I don't like staying in typical hotel when I travel because I like the authenticity of living like a local. I supremely hit the jackpot here! I already can't wait to plan to return with my husband! My mom and I drove from Texas here with my three dogs for Christmas ( we stayed 5 nights). The staff answered all my questions before arrival so I felt confident in our chosen destination, but was still worried with hauling the dogs to a place I'd never been. It couldn't have been more perfect for us! We stayed at the cottage so that we could have a yard for the dogs. I was at ease knowing it was fenced in! The cottage was so beautifully authentic with saltillo tiles a spacious kitchen, traditional Santa Fe Kiva ( this was on my list of things I wanted for a cozy Christmas stay) they stocked wood and cleaned if for us, the bathroom had an amazing jetted tub to soak in after skiing, and a large downstairs closet. We would walk to breakfast every morning ( just two blocks away, easy walk even in snowing freezing weather). The breakfast was beyond delicious! We couldn't believe it was part of our stay! We looked forward to it every morning. We never made it to the happy hour, because we always got caught up with adventures around Santa Fe, but we heard it was just as great. The Plaza, Georgia Okeefe Musuem, Cathedral Basiclia, Loretto Chapel, Canyon Road, and the Cross of the Matyrs Park (great for sunset) were all within an easy walk. By google map they looked like a far walk, but the streets are so narrow there and blocks so short that everything is truly so close! Carolyn took such good care of us on our stay with anything we needed at all, she even put festive Farolitos out on our walkway on Christmas Eve it made us feel so welcomed, like locals, for the magic of Christmas eve in Santa Fe. It was nice not to feel like a burden with the dogs and how welcomed they were ( that is so rare to find). Carolyn even helped accommodate us to stay at the Pinon our last night as I got confused and somehow thought we had another night booked ( wishful thinking I suppose). The Pinon was two more blocks away but was much larger to accommodate more people and space. It had all the special details like the cottage, and had unbelievably comfy beds. We are so thankful that we found this special gem that makes Santa fe even more magical. We can't wait to come back and are so happy there are people like Carolyn that host such beautiful accommodating, authentic, and special places. We couldn't be more satisfied! I've already recommended this place to several friends that visit Santa Fe annually, but selfishly hope the word doesn't get out too much as I want there to be availability for when we come back! :)

Room Tip: The cottage is great for 2 people and dogs, closed in yard and parking! The Pinon is great for bigger group - comfy beds!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2016

We have been to Santa Fe a number of times and find Alexander's inn the best choice. We have the solitude of our own place and the wonderful breakfasts at the inn.
Most important is the way you are treated by all the staff. A fire set up in our fireplace, help with directions and recommendations. We wouldn't go anywhere else.

Room Tip: We like the cottage for privacy
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

My husband had taken me to the Absolute Nirvana Spa & Gardens at the beginning of the year, for a massage and couples bath. We had a little time to waste before our session, so they offered us a tour of the rooms. (We had been staying at another hotel) We were very impressed with everything they had to offer. We said the next time we came into town we would stay with them. Well this is now our second time staying at the Alexander Inn and we absolutely love it! They have thought of everything, from the robes hanging in the bathroom, to the wine openers in the drawers, to the recycling bins in the bathroom. The Alexander Inn is absolutely perfect!

Now let me tell you a little bit about our experience with their staff. Every single staff member we have come into contact with, from the owners to the housekeepers, they have all been so friendly and welcoming. And if you don't have a clue of what's in store for your day in Santa Fe, they have tons of great recommendations. We love that we're treated just like family. My husband and I have shared a few laughs, and had some good conversations with their staff.

Their breakfast is home-made and delicious! And their happy hour is the perfect way to unwind after a long day of sightseeing.

This is our home away from home and we have never had a bad experience. When people say they are headed to Santa Fe this is the first place I brag about.

Thank you to all of the staff members for ALWAYS making our stay so pleasant.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Alexander's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

You are so kind to have written in, and we all thank you for such a wonderful and glowing review. I am so pleased you appreciate the amenities offered, the warm and friendly staff, and our homemade breakfast offerings. We look forward to seeing you and your husband again and again over the coming years.

Reviewed 24 November 2016

My husband and I arrived after normal check in from a 12 hour drive. We had some difficulty finding the Casita since we were new to Sante Fe and the layout of the streets are somewhat confusing. However, that was the only drawback to our enjoyable journey. After we retrieved our Welcome Packet from the main Inn, we nestled into this cozy Casita and found ourselves well at home. The Alexander’s Inn website tells of, “a fabulous full breakfast at our nearby Hacienda Nicholas” and this accurately describes what we were served every morning. Each breakfast offered Gluten Free options which excelled in the making as GF sometimes lack the texture and flavor of gluten goods. Carolyn was kind enough, to send the recipes of some of the delicious baked treats we enjoyed. We met George, who served us our first morning. He gave us a most interesting history lesson on the settlement of Sante Fe and the various people groups who inhabited the area from Colonial times to present. All of the staff are very kind. Our Casita has the spiral staircase which can seem a bit precarious at first; especially if there are mid-nighttime bathroom needs. The kitchenette has plenty of amenities to stay in and make small meals and the shower/bath provided the hot water to thaw our chilled bones after the mid-November evening temperature drop. Also appreciated is the good consciousness toward ecological conservation. All bath amenities were provided through a 3-spout single dispenser in the shower and one 2-spout dispenser next to the bathroom sink; as well as recyclable trash bins. Thank you Carolyn, George, and other staff for making our stay comfortable, and pleasurable.

Room Tip: Kitchenette is perfect for light meals.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We stayed for 6 days at the Juniper Casita of the Alexander Inn. A delightful, quirky, light filled cottage. It was a southwest styled place, that gave a taste of what it would be like to live in Santa Fe.
The common living room/kitchen has a raised dining area. Off the dining areas is a narrow outdoor terrace that stretches the length of the cottage and is all windows. The morning light would flood into this space and into the living/kitchen area. The view is out to the hills. We watched the sky flood with amazing color at sunrise and sunset. Relaxed with drinks on the terrace after a hard day having fun.
The kitchen is equipped enough to do some proper cooking. Particularly if you take advantage of the Farmer's Market in the Railyard. Very nice to have a coffee on the terrace, watching the sun come up. You don't get the B&B breakfast, you are on your own which is nice when you want to stay in your robe through breakfast. The Washer/Dryer is also in the 'kitchen', nice to have it, but the washer is noisy. Plan ahead when you wash. I wish there was a rack or clothes line provided. Clothes will dry overnight.
This unit has a lot of steps. Enter on the kitchen level, and go down 2 steps to the living room. Go up 4 steps to the dining area. Go up 2 steps to the bathroom. Go down 5 steps to the bedroom and then up 7 to the bathroom. But you get used to it.
The bathroom is spacious with plentiful hot water. It has a shutter window that opens to the living area. Throw open that shutter and light floods the bathroom and all the humidity escapes to the living area. The soaps are all bergamot scented. Nice, if you don't mind bergamot. If the scent had stayed on my skin I would have bought my own non-bergamot scented soap. The house was cleaned daily.
The bedroom is rather dark and could use a lamp on the chest of drawers. Bed is comfy and quite tall. I had to use a wood step to get into bed at night.
It is an easy 15 minutes walk to downtown Santa Fe from Juniper. A 10 minute walk to Canyon Road. It is a quiet 'real' residential neighborhood, with close access to a main roadway circling downtown.
The one caution is the drive up to the house. It is a narrow, quite steep, dirt lane, poorly lit, about 50 yards long. No problem in a car and they provide very clear directions. You can easily walk it, but I wouldn't do it after dark.
There is a yappy neighbor dog - who limited his barking to 5 min intervals. An adjacent neighbor has a bright gate light that thwarted star gazing.
If you want some independence and a home from home then stay in the Juniper. You will enjoy this Casita as much as we did. If we come back to Santa Fe, we will stay at the Juniper again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple