“Yes, I'll have a Burrito!”
Review of El Chile Toreado

El Chile Toreado
Ranked #124 of 609 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 7 June 2017

I'd heard fabled tales of the best non-homemade breakfast burrito in town. Winding through the endless construction and 8am traffic of Cerrillos Road and onto Cordova, I came upon a familiar white mini-trailer without the usual mass of parked cars around it. It smelled of bacon and chile and there were mounds of foil-wrapped treasures either waiting for the masses of humanity to descend upon opening or bulk orders waiting for pickup. I ordered a green chile 1/2 pound burrito: a large, puffy tortilla lovingly caressing perfectly cooked potatoes, bacon and onion with an unusual green sauce. The spice was slightly different from plain green chile and tasted of guacamole. "I can't possibly eat all of this". Nevertheless, she persisted...

8  Thank SunriseAddicted

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

I searched trip advisor for a Mexican place close to I-25 and this gem came up. Very very good! I would come back in a heart beat! I will on the way back to Denver. Great people, great food!

8  Thank skideepsnow
Reviewed 11 February 2017

We were getting pretty hungry so the minute we entered Santa Fe NM. We headed to El Chile Toreado!! I can't even begin to express how good these tacos are! These are my favorite tacos I have ever had. We ordered Carnita's, Al Pastor, and Chicharones (soft not crunchy pork fat). The Al Pastor were the favorite in my opinion. They were tender, rich, and not overly sweet from the pineapple. The Carnita's were also very good. A must on the Carnita's is El Chile Toreado's green sauce! YUM!!

11  Thank WanderlustHrts
Reviewed 13 December 2016

I am obsessed with this unassuming taco stand on Cordova Rd. This is probably not much of a tourist spot since it is away from the plaza and there is no dining room, just take out, but it is well worth checking out. I love to grab some tacos before I head out on a day trip from Santa Fe. Everything I have tried is awesome, but I love the tacos al pastor(pork and pineapple in red chile sauce), the tacos de pollo adovado (chicken marinated in red chile) and they have an excellent vegetarian burrito for lunch or breakfast. The real stand out, though, is the salsa bar. They have an assortment toppings like pico de gallo, pickled onions and a delicious green sauce that will melt your face off if you put too much. According to what I Iooked up, a chile “toreado” is a raw jalapeño or Serrano chile gently pressed and rolled in between the palms of your hands. This releases the seeds and softens the veins from inside the chile to intensify the heat. This must what the green sauce is made of because it is delicious, but soooooo spicy. One last bonus is that the family that runs this place is just delightful. They are always warm and friendly.

8  Thank Rachel F
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

If you aren't eating here while in Santa Fe you aren't eating. Fast friendly service at a good price.

6  Thank Safari191824