“Great Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Recently visited San Antonio for the first time with my wife for our National Sales Meeting (we both work for same company) & it just so happened to be our anniversary. What a trip we had and the extra days were perfect.

Sandra the hotel concierge was outstanding. . .was awesome. Thank you.

On this trip I misplaced my iPhone charger, and tried to replace with a knockoff brand (could not find an Apple store or Apple retailer) which did not work. The housekeeper came by to see if we wanted our room made up for the day, we decline only needing towels. However, I noticed an iPhone charger on her cart. I asked if there was anyway I could borrow, without hesitation, she handed to me and said I could have it. I realized what she had just done for us. I returned to the hall 30 seconds later, and she was gone no where to be found on the floor.

What customer service. . .Thank you to Gabriela Bastida (HouseKeeping) . . .you did not have to do that, and you did it without even thinking about it. Customer Service goes a long way in my book, and this is one hotel that will always gain high marks in my book.

Room Tip: Ask for Riverview side.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have been a Starwood Platinum Guest for 6 years, and have enjoyed every moment of my stay during these years. Westin River Walk in San Antonio is a perfect example of every thing great that Starwood has to offer.

Chef Eugene Schlaff has been very gracious to provide excellent vegeterian meals that we were looking for. He and Daniel Valdez have been the perfect host at the elegant Zocco restaurant in the hotel.

Special mention for Yari Ramirez, she has always worked hard to work with my reservation issues and I have been impressed with her helpfulness and prompt service.

I have stayed in the hotel last week and look forward to staying here in the future.

Regards

Sandeep C

Stilwell, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were in week three of gluten free, casein free dieting for my wife when we arrived at the hotel. The next morning when we went to breakfast we asked for the chef as recommended by the books we had read. Chef Jeff Foresman promptly arrived at our table and after a short conversation he advised that Sous Chef Michael Ruiz had a son that was on a gluten free diet and could better serve us. Michael was absolutely fantastic and immediately put our fears to rest. Wendy was able to eat things that she enjoyed and were satisfying. We were quite nevous about the trip but Michael was our savior. In addtion every single staff person we encountered, from the maids to the Concierge, was genuinely friendly and helpful and contributed to one of the finest hotels stays we have ever had.

Don & Wendy Armacost, Stilwell, Kansas

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the hotel overlooking the riverwalk.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Don A
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I were there for a conference a week ago and had a great time. The hotel was on the Riverwalk but away from the tourist area. We asked for a room facing the Riverwalk and got one, but there is not much to see from the balcony. You have to walk about 10 mns to get to the restaurant area on the river. Everything was very nice and clean at the hotel, we only had breakfast at Zocca, the hotels restaurant, but received excellent service from our waiter Angel. Got a chance to talk to sous chef, Eugene Schlaff at one of the lunches provided for the conference, very nice and on top of the food serfvice. Check with the concierge, many great places to eat. (Our favorite - Foga de Chao - worth every penny.)

Room Tip: Asked for a Riverwalk view, but no real big deal. Back of hotel kind of isolated.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

The first thing that struck me on our first visit to San Antonio was the politeness of the people we came in contact with--including the taxi drivers. The second thing that struck me was the 4 diamond award on the wall of the hotel when I checked in, a couple of days after my wife who was there to attend a meeting.

This hotel deserved the four diamonds. Nothing pretentious, mind you. Just nice facilities, attentive staff, tastefully decorated in a quiet location on the river but near to everything we could have wanted.

As I said, this is not a pretentious hotel. The public spaces are actually on the small side. But what did strike me was how many people were actually sitting in the indoor lobby and outdoor sitting areas on the river. And it was quiet!!! Even saw some men sitting with their (large) dogs--which struck me as unusual, but they were well behaved. And people were sitting there reading books, actually USING the lobby for something other than checking email.

The rooms were tastefully decorarted, and typical size, wiith a small outdoor patio which was more for standing and looking at the river below than sitting (no chairs).

The restauarant looked pleasant (did not have any meals there) with a quiet outdoor sitting area for cocktails late Friday night--with a server who was full of information about the area. And as we left, a doorman (Jose Alvarado) who handed me his card as we wished us well on our travels, and looked forward to greeting us on our return.

Location is excellent: right on riverwalk, but away from the noise (and it was crowded and noisy), not far from the Alamo and a half mile from the Mercado (check out the review of La Margarita).

Can't write this review without a word about San Antonio: our first visit, we are definitely headed back. Yes, we did the Alamo tour, walked on the river (a bit noisy and crowded on Friday night), ate some excellent meals, and met some very polite people who clearly love their city. What they have done with the river is terrific, and there were people all over downtown on Saturday.

The highlight of the trip, however, was our visit to Paris Hatters. All kinds of hats and boots. My wife's meeting only had 40 attendees but about 16 folks came out of their with western boots--including some of us who bought more than one pair, along with our hats. A family owned business since 1917, it is a throwback to the past with service and style of the present.

So hats off to the Westin for being a great place to stay, and a city that just wants to bring you back for more.

• Stayed March 2012