“Lunch”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Great service and friendly. The waitress was very helpful in suggesting entree. I had the shrimp pesto ravioli excellent.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

Had lunch with a friend and we ordered pizza and pasta, the salad with the house dressing is great. The waitress was so pleasant and very quick. I really like the location and is a lovely restaurant.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

An old brick chalet built by La Cosa Nostra is the vibe for Gay's (the owner) Italian retreat. This is a two story dining room with huge, ominous looking mafia family type pictures in sepia tones on the wall that give one the feeling that Big Brother is watching. It's a guardedly comfortable somewhat dark dining room with white table cloth seating upstairs and down with patio tables all in a row bistro style just outside the main door. There is even a secret garden with fountain in the back with just a few tables for a less watched feeling while you dine among the greenery and tinkling water sound.

Yes. Pizzas are served here like the other Capparelli locations. However, the more upscale atmosphere makes you feel guilty unless your are ordering something a little more Italian sounding with lots of double consonants and maybe a little more expensive. That is not to say that they don't have the usual lasagna and spaghetti and meatballs, however. Actually, my wife ordered the chicken lasagna with alfredo sauce and I the veal piccata (see; look at those double Cs). Caesar and house salads were fresh and well dressed. Complimentary garlic bread was warm and pungent, but not so robust as to wake the dead and kill vampires.

The lasagna was not your usual layered type. It was a couple of noodle sheets over-stuffed with chicken and artichoke pieces then smothered in alfredo. The chefs deviation from the traditional was not necessarily off-putting, but the not-so-tender chicken and overly salty alfredo were. Nicest of the nice, the waitress asking after our satisfaction would not be ignored once she learned of my wife's displeasure. Her insistence to replace the dish was an offer that could not be refused. So my wife chose cheese tortellini in a sugarosa (tomato and cream) sauce with side meatball in red sauce and was happy with the forthcoming replacement.

The veal was a similar story and although the lemon-butter-caper sauce was good, the small solitary piece of veal must have been cooked just a little too long. I could barely cut it with a fork which is my usual tenderness measure for tender veal. I elected not to upset the godfather staring at us from the far wall and ate my veal and side of linguine with a proper slurp or two. It's not that they couldn't give me what I wanted. I just figured that I was not unsatisfied enough to have a horse lose his head over it.

I am sure we will give this nicely appointed restaurant another try when we are in the mood for another go-round at double consonant loaded Italian named dishes and a ring kiss or two.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

This is one of my college daughter's fave places and loved our experience here for my birthday dinner. Fab food, terrific service in a festive atmosphere. The holiday decor, at the time, was charming and subdued. Loved this restaurant and understand why it is a favorite with my daughter and her college friends, who attend nearby Trinity University. Looking forward to our next visit to San Antonio and a return trip to this charming, neighborhood eatery.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Very delicious Italian menu. Eggplant parmigiana was wonderful. A delightful eatery for lunch or dinner. A perfect after church Sunday treat.