“More than OK, lasagna like Mom's but not the sauce”

Capparelli's On Main
Ranked #306 of 5,108 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 25 March 2015

This is better than good, but not great. My wife had the Chicken Picatta and enjoyed it, with its lemony, creamy sauce. I enjoyed the Lasagna, because it was made "the right way", with sliced meatballs, sliced Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese. It also had mushrooms. A lot of places nowadays use solely ricotta cheese and the meat is either ground meat within or even in the sauce; sorry but that's just not traditional. So the lasagna was excellent. Except that the sauce was very thin with no body, almost like tomato soup! The flavor was mild and OK, but tomato sauce should have more body. My wife had a side of rigatoni pasta with her chicken and the rigatoni had the same thin marinara sauce. The complimentary garlic bread was like soft hoagie rolls toasted; not a good hearty crusty french or italian bread as it should be. So, with that thin sauce, hence the deduction of a point (and another half if I could). Service was very good and the place was clean and inviting. We would go again but not before trying other choices.

Date of visit: March 2015
1  Thank joekewl

Reviewed 17 March 2015

We go here often. Love the food and the staff. Great wine selection and great atmosphere. Oh, the Garlic bread is awesome.

Date of visit: December 2014
1  Thank Craig E
Reviewed 6 February 2015

We tried this restaurant with a family group. For most of us the food was OK, and the waiter was very attentive. I was disappointed in the Pizza because it was a thick-crust type; however, I should have asked before I ordered. Two of our party had Crab Cakes and when they got home they got sick to their stomachs. Most people judge a restaurant based on one meal. My wife and I have sometimes tried a restaurant a second time when the first visit was so-so, and we are sometimes pleasantly surprised. But we draw the line when someone gets sick from a restaurant's food. We will not be giving Capparelli's On Main a second chance.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed 1 February 2015

My wife and stopped into Capparelli's while visiting the area on a business trip. I had a meatball entrée and my wife had the Chicken Marsalis. The food was ok, if a bit bland. The service however was solid. The place has a nice atmosphere and is clean. Its entirely possible I had a menu item that maybe wasn't a house specialty.

Date of visit: January 2015
1  Thank Cory K
Reviewed 24 January 2015 via mobile

This is a hole in the wall Italian place that has the best Italian food around! The staff is great, and the atmosphere is family and friends. I try to go here every time I come to San Antonio.