“Go for the Ceviche”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Alamo Heights
Cross street: East Grayson
Description: Nao is a classroom for students in their last semester at the Culinary Institute of America, San Antonio. Both Culinary and service is provided by students earning an Associates of Applied Science degree in Culinary Arts. Evenings and weekends, Nao Latin Gastro Bar has brunch and dinner service, with both alumni and hired staff creating Latin American-inspired cuisine in a modern open kitchen.
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Always wanted to try a Culinary Institute of America restaurant. NAO is led by students working as chefs and servers. We had the Ceviche and Duck Flautas as appetizers. They were both great. The Ceviche was made with Salmon that night and it was perfect with the glass of Cava I was drinking. We had the Ribeye Pork Belly Burger and the Half Chicken. We enjoyed both meals. The fries and sauce that came with burger were very tasty. Next time I will try the Salmon Tacos since the table next to us had them and they smelled great.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We went to Nao for a birthday celebration dinner and both the food and the service were poor. Our server was inattentive, spent a lot of time talking about his personal life with other customers, and forgot to bring more wine when we ordered another glass. When he cleaned the table after dinner, he took the flatware which is custom, but then he just dropped off dessert without bringing any additional flatware and then was nowhere to be found. The food was lackluster as well; I ordered the chicken and potatoes which were bland and there was no salt or pepper on the table and the server didn't bring any when asked. My guest ordered the steak, medium, and it was actually half well done and half rare. I had been to Nao before and had a wonderful experience and couldn't wait to take my friend out for a birthday dinner but is was such a disappointment, I will never go back.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Students work hard in providing fine service. We had the seafood stew which was excellent and rivals the best in leading commercial restaurants. Worth a detour.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 9 February 2018

Our waiter was not the best, but I have to give a bit of grace. I'm sure he didn't spend all this time and thousands of dollars to become a waiter. I'm sure they take turns filling this role. We had the cheese board which is presented very differently. First you taste a lot of different cheeses and then decide on 2 to 4 to eat with bread and jams. We had some croquettes that were so crispy on the outside and creamy inside. I had the pork tenderloin that was cooked perfectly. The spinach rice could have used a little less salt. For dessert we had the creme brûlée and an espresso ice cream. Excellent. They also have a very nice wine list that includes wines by the glass.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Everything has changed. At lunch time you now get served by the bakery. Had eaten there last year and it was terrible. Same now. Their pulled pork sandwich had no flavor, the fried plantain was burned and inedible. We were charged for a strawberry tart that we didn't order so switched for Key Lime tart which was good. They gave us a free baguette as we left but when we got home, it was like a rock and very hard to cut with a bread knife. So glad I wasn't embarrassed by bringing more people with us.

Date of visit: February 2018