“Bring HUGE appetite for HUGE TACOS!!”
Review of Rolando's Tacos

Rolando's Tacos
Ranked #1,251 of 5,105 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Harlandale
Neighbourhood: Harlandale
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Great food at great price!
NANDO all the time!
Authentic Mexican food with at a Texas size!
Bring HUGE appetite for HUGE TACOS!

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

There's tacos are huge I hope your really hungry cause all the tacos are so delicious !! The carne guisada with bean & cheese is the best.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 10 June 2015

Heavy thunderstorms in the Houston area prevented my SW flight from landing as scheduled and we were re-routed directly to SAT, the final destination of the crew and that particular aircraft for the day. Due to the weather I was rerouted SAT - DAL - HOU but not until the next day. Well, I wasn't about to waste a wonderful opportunity to eat at my absolute favorite San Antonio breakfast joint by any means!!

Once again I was immediately recognized upon entering the restaurant even though I had not been here in some 5 months. The waitress even remembered my order (Carne Guisada & cheese breakfast taco) much to the surprise of my dining companions.

The Carne Guisada & cheese was as good as it has always been; so good in fact that I just had to get one to go as well (you just have to take advantage of these opportunities, right??). I was the envy of everyone around me on my flight as I enjoyed my 2nd breakfast taco some 26,000 feet over Texas.

¡Buen provecho!

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank LonestarGumby
Reviewed 26 January 2015

I found myself in San Antonio (again) this past Saturday morning, and I wanted an authentic Mexican breakfast. So of course I went to my favorite go to place, Rolando's Super Tacos on Shasta Ave.

Was greeted by the owner who told us to seat ourselves, in spite of the sign saying 'wait to be seated'. Chose a nice table in the second dining area and just got comfortable when the waitress was there asking for our drink order. Requested our drinks in 'to go' cups as I knew I would want a refill on the way out.

I was pleasantly surprised that when the waitress returned with our drinks (half-sweet tea for me) she remembered that I wanted the mid-sized (the menu now lists this as 'small') Carne Guisada (breakfast) taco with cheese! I have to tell you that I was shocked, but extremely pleased. I had not been to Rolando's since Labor Day weekend 2014, and for them to remember me and my order really makes one feel welcomed.

The 'small' taco measures a full 10 inches diameter and was filled with at least a half-pound of wonderfully seasoned beef tips in guisada gravy, topped with shredded cheddar cheese. Once again, it was heaven on earth. One of my friends ordered a (small) Barbacoa and egg taco, which they said was some of the best barbacoa they had had in a long time. In fact they had so much barbacoa and egg (it must have been like 3 eggs) that they ordered a second plain tortilla just to accommodate some of the filling!!

Now I will fully disclose that although my tortilla was fresh that morning, it appeared to be just a little crunchy for my taste; kinda like they had re-heated it after filling it with my choice of fillings. I am sure it was fresh that morning, but it did appear to have been re-heated. The 2nd plain tortilla that my friend ordered was served steaming hot, and was not by any means re-heated.

I found the pico-de-gallo that they served with the barbacoa and egg was actually quite good. Now I want you to know that I do not pollute my carne guisada y queso (cheese) with anything else, but the pico de gallo was quite enjoyable on the barbacoa.

I just might have to try a bit of pico on my next trip to Rolandos....which should be in September over Labor Day weekend again, if not sooner. And I know I will certainly be stopping by my favorite Rolandos Tacos then....I ALWAYS do whenever I am in SA. (I was there Labor Day 2014 as noted, but I just did not contribute another review. However it was just as good then and remains my absolute favorite place to eat in all of SA).

Buen provecho!

Date of visit: January 2015
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My son and I went in hungry for breakfast and left stuffed with tasty, wonderfully prepared Tex-Mex tacos. We got the super-sized tacos which I do not recommend unless you are very hungry. The three side salsas were served warm and were superb adds. An interesting add to my breakfast taco were the crunchy home-made potato chips. When in San Antonio please go. It is worth any effort you make to go there.

Date of visit: July 2014