“WService Not So Good”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“WService Not So Good”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The room was great and the location is perfect, but the service.....not so good. We went with another couple, so we had 2 rooms. One of the rooms was supposed to be river view, one not. This is what we were told on the phone the day before we checked in. When we got there, it was a whole different story. After we got to our room and discovered that neither room was river view (with a balcony), I went down to the lobby to get the problem fixed. As I stood in line for 30 minutes while the girls at the desk spent a great deal of time getting the guy in front of me the biggest balcony they could find on the river, I was told there were not river view rooms left.

The worst part is that this whole ordeal was the other couple had given us the room as a Christmas gift, and she wanted it to be so perfect. Not, and then on top of it, they billed our room to us instead of our friends. She was so upset about the room mix up, I didn't have the heart to tell her about the billing mix up. I guess she will find out when she gets her credit card bill.

We stay at embassy suites all the time when we travel, but I have never been treated like I was the ugly step child. Not happy with the service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deb78063

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2012

For the price, this is your best bet on the riverwalk, hands down. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. I love having 2 rooms, 2 TV's, a refridgerator, and balcony! Also, the lobby is gorgeous and the employees are fantastic.

The free breakfast is amazing: fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, french toast, pancakes, sausage, oatmeal,a nd eggs and omelets cooked to order

Free managers reception is a great way to start your evening: margaritas, rum punch, beer, wine, and single liquors with mixers - plus chips and salsa, cheese cubes, fresh veggies and dip, fruit and pub snack mix.

You are steps away from anything and everything on the riverwalk and 2 blocks away from Walgreens, restaurants on the street level, and the Majestic Theater.

BOOK THIS HOTEL! You will be so happy!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ramseyboy1
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I have stayed a several other Embassy Properties and this by far was the nicest. The furnishings were top notch you would have thought you were staying at a Four Seasons. The staff was helpful. Breakfast was great and staff was very attentive with cleaning and making sure everyone was satisfied. Used valet parking at the hotel and they were also super polite with offering help and directions. The hotel is steps away from the Riverwalk and a short walk to the Alamo. If in the San Antiono area again I will definately stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LovestoFly
Wilsonville, Oregon
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The Embassy Suites Riverwalk was a very comfortable hotel; the rooms were well appointed and spacious, the breakfast and manager's reception were generous and well prepared, and the location was ideal to enjoy downtown San Antonio. My only complaint was that the front desk staff were abrupt in their demeanor; it seemed that they were doing you a favor in answering even the simplest questions. That said, the kitchen and bar staff were very gracious and helpful, as was the housekeeping staff and the valet personnel. I definitely recommend this hotel for business or leisure.

Room Tip: Even "city view" rooms were quiet; little noise from the street and we were only on the 4t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank col2or
Georgia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hotel is lovely and clean. We loved our suite and the view of the Riverwalk below. When we checked in the staff was very "snippy" and did not want to give me the AAA discount. In order to "see if I could get the AAA discount", the front desk clerk had me walk to a phone across the lobby and talk to a corporate Embassy Suites operator who was holding on the line. This operator gave me the AAA discount and told me to give the phone back to the front desk clerk. I explained that I was across the lobby and not near the front desk. She told me to put the phone down, not to hang up and walk to the front desk and tell the clerk there to pick up the line. I did as she told me, but then the desk clerk could not reconnect with the corporate Embassy Suites operator. This problem cost me another 10 minutes of standing at the front desk as the desk clerk searched his computer to find the information that the corporate operator had just entered. We used our AAA card at hotels all across the country and every hotel in which we stayed (except this one) immediately gave us the AAA discount.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Riverwalk, of course.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family