“Not what was expected!”

Ranked #153 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Vilonia, Arkansas
“Not what was expected!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Upon checking in there was a group of rowdy people at the pool all drinking, I have two small children so that meant no swimming for us. The room was what i expected. It appeared clean and was a good size. This all changed when entering the bathroom there were still dirty towels hanging on the shower rod. So that lead me to believe the shower had not been cleaned. When traveling i always pull covers down and check everything, the sheets were clean but had stains on them. We stayed several days and the pool was always occupied by people drinking, or having a party i should say. The laundry facilities were nice. It was close to Sea World and eating establishments. The only other complaint is that we paid for the room using points, so our stay was free (so I wont complain too much) but then they also charged us full price for the room to our credit card. Had to dispute with credit card company to get it resolved. Which it finally did. If just a little care was given to the hotel it would be a great place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank armommyoftwoboys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I moved in on April 25 and are still here in July. When we got here the pool was closed due to uncleaned broken glass. Trash was not picked up which I did myself. The pool was closed at 10:00 pm but never enforced. The elevator was constantly out of order and the rooms were supposedly cleaned once a week but had to be reminded every week.
The staff was very nice but ineffectual. We went without hot water once for 12 hours. Some things were very nice but there were many problems. I often cleaned the patio area myself and actually emptied the patio trash myself since it was overflowing.
I believe some of the problems occured because the owners were opening a Holiday Inn Express next door and that is where their concerns lie. In the mean time, we at the Candlewood Suites were the "poor relatives".

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank debbiedoescoffee
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

stayed here with family on trip to San Antonio with Sea World as the main attraction. Staff at check in was super friendly. When I got to the room I thought it was smaller than the ones I saw pictures of on the website. I went down to discover the picture is of a different Candlewood. The only suite with a separate room is the single King. We needed the dual Queens. The kitchen and bbq grill by the pool were used and worked well. Shishkabobs on the grill were a treat that made some of the other tenants jealous and then I saw them do it the next night. The bathroom counter is unusually high and I had to rig a stool for the kids to be able to brush teeth. Pool was a hit with the kids and we ate dinner out there by it twice. The wife used the laundry and work-out facilities and was happy with both. All of the staff is so friendly and helpful - it makes you wonder why other places are not so nice. I would definitely recommend this place. Especially if you are in a group or family visiting SWSA and the sites. About 20min drive to park at the riverwalk and about 10min to Sea World. Holiday Inn Express and Sonic share the Lot and some of the parking.

Room Tip: have them fax a floorplan brochure to you 1st
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rccola_texas
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Close to Six Flags, a mall, and tons of restaurnats. The extra space in the room from the kitchen is always a plus. Room was clean and comfortable. The pool area is at a high point in the area, so it gets pretty windy, but in San Antonio, a breeze is always welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DeeOhGee
Warsaw, Oh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

I chose this Candlewood instead of the ones closer to downtown because of all of the vehicle break in reports (much $$$ in tools in my work truck). I didn't have any problems with that here and didn't notice any broken glass in the parking lot.The staff here are awesome and will bend over backwards to make sure your happy (unless you're a jerk). My only complaints were the doors seem thin, and have a large gap underneeth. I was woken up several times by a lady yelling at her dog every day, and just about every morning by screaming kids running down the hall. I imagine the hotel being close to Sea World doesn't help. If you need to use the internet for anything more than browsing the web it is SLOW. I had to go elsewhere to upload some paperwork because of the extremely slow connection. Overall it wasn't too bad. it's a Candlewood so free laundry, a cupboard to purchase snacks, fitness center, and an outdoor pool. Not much dining within walking distance, just a bar, and Sonic.

Stayed April 2011, travelled on business