“Wonderful”
Review of Custom House Rotisserie - CLOSED

Custom House Rotisserie
Cuisines: American
Description: The restaurant is listed on yelp with over 40 reviews.
Description: The restaurant is listed on yelp with over 40 reviews.
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

Rotisserie rack visible as soon as you walk in, open kitchen so you can watch them prepare your food if you want to. Various meals available and the staff is very polite, although the place is very hot to stand inside and wait for your food there is outdoor seating. We got the herb and garlic roasted chicken, the sweet potato, the sweet corn, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy. The sweet potato definitely rings true to homemade as does the gravy, the cranberry sauce is made from actual cranberries, the gravy taste just like homemade could use a little salt though, thing is a little bit dry but the chicken is cooked through. It has the genuine feel of going over a friends house for a holiday dinner. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

We enjoyed the Thanksgiving sandwich very much. It was a very interesting sandwich with turkey, dressing, gravy and cranberries on it. Very yummy! The bread it was on was less than great.

Hard to find spot, but very enjoyable.

1  Thank Lin L
Reviewed 20 June 2015 via mobile

I normally eat my turkey and dressing in a plate with a fork, but not at the Custom House. It was on a sandwich and it was delicious. Full meal deal complete with cranberry sauce and brown gravy. Did I say delicious?

Reviewed 10 June 2015

We were walking all over Salem and early on passed a sign that said something about a thanksgiving sandwich (with gravy) ...it was early on so we just kept being tourists - passing a tin of places - so now it's hunger time and we've walked blocks - lefts and rights - do you think we could remember where the hell the sign was - NO. The problem was I wanted that sandwich and I wanted it bad - so what do you do - well... you walk into another restaurant and ask ! Hey I really don't want to eat here but do you know where that place is that has the turkey sandwich ? Just to show you how good this place is - 3 different people pipe in with directions and a few OMG's .its tow bucks - up an alley and on the right. Thanksgiving Sandwich - here I come. Now I'm going to give you a heads up - you walk into the shop and it's like 1,000 degrees - no AC - and you look around and say - hmm not to sure - then you get this beaming smile from the guy behind the counter and you mention the sandwich.... He turns and spins this huge just made perfectly roasted - Norman Rockwell Turkey around and the smell and the unvaling will stop you dead in your track - then he points to the rolls and remember i'm melting in there because it feels like I've walked into the gate of hell and witchcraft. (which by the way has become such a cottage industry that it's who can out do the next trashy souvenir store - but that's a different topic ) I'm hot , Hungary and it's a wicked nice day outside we place our order and retreat to tables set up u dear a tree. He says - I'll bring it out for you. - alrighty then. So I still don't know what the hell to expect because of the whole set-up and what appears is not the - it's THE single best Thansgiving Sandwich and omg sausage stuffing - cranberry - AND gravy on this monsta' killa' roll. And I'm looking at it its all wrapped up but cut in half so nothing falls out and I pick up this epic sandwich and take that first bite - and no I'm not being overly dramatic here - I'm like let's see what you got and I had a holy - - - - moment. This was better than ... any love my family Thanksgiving Dinner could ever be. I was in a food coma - face in my sandwich - because it's unreal.. I'm in the don't even talk to me or make me think.. as I savor this majestic thing of foodum infront of me ... Make sure you find this place and while the sandwich is as long, thick and chock full - Don't split it because your hate yourself for giving half away. Anyway - that's my story and I'm
stickin' to it ! Why are you still reading this ? Go get the damn sandwich. You owe me !

2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 5 April 2015

I don't know how many times I walked past this place but never tried it. This weekend I actually walked IN and was very pleasantly surprised at just how good the food was. My first thought was that is was another Boston Market clone and while the structure of the menu is similar, there is no comparing the quality of the chicken or the sides. I had their lemon chicken with apple bread stuffing and butternut squash. The meal came with cornbread. I'm normally a carb counter but I do afford myself a luxury now and then these days. And, just a word on that since I do love finding places that offer good low-carb options: they have an abundance of side items that you can use to make your meal low-carb so definitely check them out if you've found it difficult to find an acceptable meal in your wanderings around Salem.

Everything tasted "real" as in they just made it as opposed to just un-bagged it. The owner was very friendly and very hospitable. There are only two tables inside so look at this as more of a take-out operation if you have more than two people in your party. I also recommend taking it home if you can since trying to take apart half a chicken with a plastic butter knife is not fun (but you can't expect them to break out the good silver, can you?).

3  Thank Joe E