2,138 results
All reviewstavern on the greenrooms are smallbeautiful historic hotelhalloween ballan older hotelwithin walking distanceold worldfront desk staffthe peabody essex museumtwo queen bedsfree parkingwitch museumnew englandparking lotvisiting salemthe publobby
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

I have never experienced service as GREAT as how these three treated me. Jules makes the best drinks he is handsome and relatable. Coco helped me with my vegan diet to find the best item on the menu for me. And Katherine is so friendly and professional. I am so pleased I will always remember how I had a great time at the hawthorn and how these three made my night memorable and happy

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank CrowHavenCorner
Reviewed 16 July 2018

I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. Yeah, the rooms might be a little small, but they're classy. And it's located right in all the downtown Salem good-ness.

First major props: this hotel has free parking for guests! That's surprisingly difficult to find in tourist towns. Second, every employee I encountered was super nice. I asked them for information about Salem, and after I checked out, they were more than happy to hang onto my bags for me for hours. They were just super awesome.

There are some fun quirks from the fact that it's an old building. The heating and cooling is turned on for the entire building. From within the room, you basically just control how much of it do you want. If the heat is on, how much heat? If the A/C is on, how much A/C? So this means you're at the mercy of what the hotel decides you can have. BUT - you can actually open the windows! They're REALLY easy to open and have screens on them. The room I stayed in had two: one in the main room and one in the bathroom. So I appreciate that it's a bit more environmentally conscious.

The elevators can be slow, so you might want to take the stairs, especially if there are a lot of people waiting. I was only here for one night and there were two weddings, so there tend to be a lot of guests showing up all at once. The stairs are a bit tricky to find because there's a big, obvious, staircase from the first to the second floor. But the second floor wasn't added until later, so the stairs to the rest of the floors are on the other side of the building. But again, the staff member I met was more than happy to walk me to where they were.

The only complaint I can possibly consider is that the walls are a bit thin. There was a couple staying in the room next to me and I could hear them talking at normal volume. Signage indicates the hotel is extremely strict about noise, I suspect for this very reason.

In short, if I get to visit Salem again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Luna-Kay
Claire K, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Luna-Kay:

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your stay at the Hawthorne. We appreciate it!

We do make the comfort of our guests a priority and try our best to uphold our noise policy, promoting 'quiet hours' every night. We hope that the sounds did not bother you to the point that you could not enjoy yourself. Know that we are always willing to accommodate if there is an issue with a particular room - just reach out to the Front Desk.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

We had a restful stay at the Hawthorne Hotel over the Fourth of July. Although it was our third stay at the hotel, this was our best one. The rooms are small, but very clean and refreshed. We even received a mini-fridge on request. The air conditioning was excellent on a very hot July day. Free parking and Wi-Fi. Solid hotel staff who friendly and helpful. Close to all attractions and dining. We enjoy reading about the hotel's history (movie stars and historic figures who have stayed there) on the walls of the lobby area. Nice low-key stay in a historic hotel.

Room Tip: Try getting a room overlooking the Salem Common.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Recon1

Recon1:

July 4th is a fantastic time to visit Salem, with celebrations on Derby Wharf (music, food, fireworks) just steps away from the Hawthorne Hotel. As you mentioned, we do have a multitude of room types, from extremely compact to spacious suites. Of course, we hope you are out exploring Salem and the North Shore and not sitting in your room all day, but if you find you need more room, we offer a lobby with complimentary beverages and newspapers, as well as a quieter mezzanine level with chairs and couches. To continue your history lesson, we do offer a formal hotel history tour daily, during the week.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

I checked in last minute at this hotel and WOW, what a great experience! First, I was upgraded to a suite without asking. The suite was spacious, clean, and all the amenities were perfect. Every employee were very friendly and provided excellent customer service. Room service was excellent. And I had breakfast in the dining room and it was very good. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Salem!

Stayed: June 2018

Debbie W:

We are glad we could accommodate your last minute stay in Salem and do hope to welcome you back when you have a bit more time to enjoy the hotel and our city.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Ahh, the Hawthorne. Our second home, in our beloved Salem. For over 25+ years, you've welcomed us with your warm hospitality, excellent staff, and perfect blend of charm and mystery. Whether it's off-season or Halloween mayhem, you never ever disappoint. As we arrive from our hours-long journey to you, your lobby is like a comfortable hug, and commands that we sit and just "take it all in". Far too many years of quick weekend visits, delicious meals and Halloween Balls to count, but each trip has left an indelible mark on our memories. We could never even think of staying anywhere else, and honestly, we refuse to. The Hawthorne is family... flower boxes, Grandmother's Window, Ships Cabin, ghosts and all.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

WhartonFoodies:

We appreciate your kind words and are thrilled we are your 'home away from home' - and not just in October!

For those readers unfamiliar with our property, chaperones used to peer through windows on the mezzanine level down into our grand ballroom to keep an eye on their wards during dances ('grandmother's windows") and the top floor of the hotel is home to the Salem Marine Society (their room is known as the "Cabin.") As for ghosts, guests have claimed two of our rooms are more appealing to spirits than others, but you will have to stay here yourself to determine the validity of such claims!