“From my Enthusiastic Review Last Year to Now - Front Desk Issues Unacceptable”

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 16 October 2017

This place really is THE oasis in the desert SW. Stay was excellent, bed and room beyond comfortable and service at the pool great. The attentiveness of the staff makes this small resort feel like a country club. Just don't ask for a Long Island Iced Tea at the pool bar. Seemed what I got was a John Daly instead. There was a wedding happening here this weekend, but service elsewhere did not seem to suffer. Sunday Brunch seems a big event here, and we were woefully underdressed as resort guests but the brunch was quite good. HOWEVER....On check-in I waited 20 minutes for someone to check me in and when they did finally arrive (too busy in the gift shop), they did not hand me the breakfast cards with my reservation. Most appalling, when asking for a late check out the guy seemed completely confused as to what to do, but when his colleague chimed in from across the other desk to say $50, he charged me for two additional hours. Note last year we stayed until 6pm NO CHARGE. I thought this was a nice touch, but this year, this was a complete unnecessary rip off after paying perhaps the highest nightly rate in the foothills for this weekend. When I asked for it to be removed, I was just outright ignored! As a return guest I was highly annoyed at being nickeled and dimed at a resort I spent over $1,200 at for 3 nights. Yes the place is exclusive and small but keep treating return guests like this and you can kiss my business and referrals goodbye.

Room Tip: Catalina View Rooms are newest and nice.
1  Thank palmster
Mauro T, Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2017

Thank you so much for your review. I am humbled by the fact that despite the less-than-desirable experience at check-in and checkout, you still had such kind comments about your stay.
Please accept my apology for the check in and checkout experience. I've shared your comments with our Executive Operating Committee and Owner for followup and retraining.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. As the specifics of your stay are not available to me on this forum for privacy reasons, please feel free to contact me to insure your next stay is what you've come to expect or if I can help with anything further. My direct line is 520-901-1308.
Mauro A. Trejo

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I spent our anniversary at this resort and it was beautiful. Our room was casita style and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a pool and 2 hot tub areas, and horseback riding (we did not go riding but a fabulous setting for a ride).
There are 2 restaurants on site, one casual and one more formal. Our first night we went to the casual restaurant and we were given a menu that had a nice selection of tacos, salads and entrees including a flat iron steak. We both ordered the steak.
Our steaks arrived, not looking at all typical of flat iron steak but very appealing. They were the best steaks ever!!! We kept remarking that the beef in AZ was beyond greatness! Then we got the bill and our $21 flat iron steaks were the filet of steak not even on the menu but on the menu for the upscale restaurant. Twice the price. We should have known:). We did not say anything because sometimes surprises are just meant to be. That steak dinner was our anniversary dinner and we would never have ordered it at that price. We were so happy for this unexpected surprise. The second night my husband had tacos that he said were very good and I had the harvest salad that was delicious. We really liked this place and would absolutely go back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

A belated "happy anniversary" to you both and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm glad that we were able to offer a pleasant surprise for your special day! While the filet is amazing, I've also had the flatiron steak and it is one of my favorite dishes on the menu.
So happy to hear you had a great time and that you chose us to spend your anniversary with. I hope to see you on your next anniversary (if not sooner)!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This was a great way to get away! Beautiful scenery, great food, and so much to offer! Loved it and never wanted to leave! Love the pool at sunset. Couldn't get a better, relaxing view! The pool was warm, hot tub relaxing, and room was amazing!

Room Tip: First floor mountain view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review! I am happy that you loved your stay with us and I do hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Our time at Hacienda del Sol was 'soul refreshing' and I think we'll be referring to it in the future as 'Hacienda del Soul!' The setting is simply spectacular - a little oasis in a beautiful desert environment. Our room was also lovely - with southwest decor and design detail that was beautiful. It was very difficult to leave, but we did so feeling rested and refreshed, having enjoyed the beauty of nature from our own little balcony. We enjoyed sunrises and sunsets, desert birds with nests in the saguaro cactus, and even spotted a herd of javelinas in the distance! We would come back in a heartbeat and have already recommended this lovely resort to family and friends, something we rarely do.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Mauro T, Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and for recommending us to others, I too feel fortunate that I get to be surrounded by such beauty every day. I do hope that we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future!

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

This place is amazing. The Casitas are a great getaway. They are spacious and some have outdoor showers. The resort has multiple pools. There is a bar / restuarant and a fancier restuarant--the Grill. I recommend reservations for either. The bar restuarant has outdoor seating and often entertainment. When we were there they had a blues singer performing. The Grill has a Sunday brunch that is to die for. It's $$$$ but worthy of a try at least once--a special occasion is nice here. Lastly make time to stroll around the grounds and read the history of the resort. It was an old girls school many years ago. It's fascinating. Also the owners seem to have a knack for metal sculpting. There are many fun sculptures all over the grounds. It's a fun, getaway weekend for couples.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Mauro T, Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with everyone. The brunch, the artwork, and the history are all among the most oft-mentioned details that our guests say they enjoy about our the Hacienda. Just to clarify for anyone interested in staying with us, it is certain Catalina Rooms that have the outside showers. The Casita Rooms (of which there are only 2) both have beautiful views and big patios/porches but do not feature the outside showers.
Thanks again and I do hope we see you again soon!
Mauro T.