2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$110
Agoda.comUS$110
PricelineUS$110
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
All reviews cup cafe downtown tucson rooms are small cactus garden noisy at night outside patio restaurants and bars earplugs noise hc taproom nightlife streetcar dresser
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 January 2020

I knew what I was getting myself into. The rooms here are pretty simple and gets to the point. No fancy frills or thrills; bed & bathroom. There is a bar and a restaurant downstairs. The nightclub of course can get really loud!

I got really drunk before falling asleep, but my buddy said he stayed up almost all night because of the noise.

Needless to say, this place is not for light sleepers.

Date of stay: January 2020
2  Thank Bao H
JocelynHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2020

Hello Bao,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have six bars and two stages on property in fact, and an award-winning restaurant, as you mentioned. We are the thriving cultural hub of Tucson where guests can dine, celebrate and socialize all in one locale. Certainly, most guests will find the rooms nearest our music venue to be loud, which we remain completely transparent about. However, we do offer quieter rooms which are quite peaceful. Just be sure to book in advance to ensure you are able to reserve the best room option. We hope you stay with us again!

Reviewed 23 January 2020

Extremely noisy, could not fall asleep! Double bed, too short for my 6'2" husband. Bed too hard! No TV! Can't bring alcohol into hotel, they want you to buy a bottle of cheap wine for $40. NO ELEVATOR! Shower in high sided tub, hard to control temperature of the water! Dangerous for older seniors! All of this for $150.00 a night. Also, we were told the coffee at the front desk was complimentary,no!! I will not return!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kihoff123
JocelynHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2020

Hello Kihoff123,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not have the best experience with us. We try to be as transparent as possible about our noise policy before and during check in, as well all of the other unique qualities you have described. We sent you a confirmation email, as we do every guest, which covers all of these points. These are again covered at the time of check in, so that each guest is not shocked by our historic qualities. Certainly our vibrant, charming establishment is not the right fit for everyone. We hope you will consider giving is another opportunity to offer you one of our king beds in the future and that your next experience is more positive.

Reviewed 28 December 2019 via mobile

‘‘Twas the night before a birthday celebration. After a long day of toad-tripping through Arizona we were excited to arrive and rest at hotel Congress.

The hotel is very quaint and left in original conditions, basically an original version of an Ace Hotel. The common areas are very cute and resemble the good old times.
The lack of any carpeting on the ground floor however is an indication of the large nightlife and party culture the hotel attracts — more of a student / frat house type of partying.

Knowing that we requested a Cactus Garden room in advance, it was supposed to be the quietest according to other reviewers. No shock here, we didn’t get the room we requested. Also be aware that when you check in you sign a petty policy so that hotel Congress can copy and paste the same response to bad reviewers: “No refunds nor discounts for noise”.

We checked the events calendar and realised a nice concert was on from 7-10pm that night — no problem!

Little to our surprise as we cuddled into bed, a third music act started outside our window on the patio (so besides live music in the lobby, the concert and music in the night club, there is also a stage on the patio). The “latin inspired” dancehall music with live percussion and air horns started at 10pm in the rain, 40’F and roughly 30 weather-proof party people.

While we are young and love a good party, it must be the hotel’s policy to fully inform guests. It would’ve been more than forthcoming if they told us the closing times of each of the venues. Our feeling was that they ride a fine line of not fully disclosing the schedules and hoping people will not be too upset.

What we experienced should hopefully never happen again. Many other popular hotels with nightlife have a better system of informing guests, no matter if they are there to party or not.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank the_siegel
JocelynHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2020

Hello the_siegel,

Your feedback is most appreciated and something that we take to heart. We are sorry that your stay was not as peaceful as you had planned and hoped it would be. In the last several years, our entertainment has grown exponentially. Along with that we have learned that being upfront with our guests about the potential for noise is the best policy so that all parties can manage expectations. Although our policy clearly indicates this aspect of the hotel, I am sorry to hear that this was not verbally conveyed to you at the time of check-in. I am personally working to provide additional training to several new employees about the importance of stating these points at check-in. In regard to the fact that you did not receive the room you had originally requested, I would like to look further into why this occurred in the first place. I encourage you to reach out to us so that we may gain a bit more information. We truly hope this particular experience does not engender your entire perception of the hotel and that you come back again. If so, please ask for me and I would like to ensure that your experience is much more comfortable.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2019 via mobile

We were on the road and had Thanksgiving Dinner here. They were booked with reservations but managed to sneak us in at a table if we could dine and be gone in 2 hours. My wife and I and our 3 toddlers had an amazing Thanksgiving dinner. The price was great given that the waiter was honest and said that there was so much food we didnt need to buy $20 plates for the kiddies. Honesty isn't something you would expect to see on Capitol Hill!! The waiter was bang-on as there was tons of food left over after we all ate. Their service was a bit slow but it was busy as heck and that is to be expected. The staff were doing an amazing job making everything happen for all the diners.
Our family gave thanks that we were together, healthy, accommodated for a couple hours for a nice meal and lived in a free country. We were also thankful for all those who are no longer with us that made this country the great country that it is.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
JocelynHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2019

Hi Kretschmd,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had an amazing Thanksgiving meal with us at Cup Cafe. I will pass along your kind words to the restaurant staff. I invite you to stay a night with us in our historic hotel and also watch one of our shows at our nightclub "Club Congress." I look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 2 December 2019

If loud, ranchy rap is your thing be sure to check into this hotel on a Friday night (maybe other nights, I don't know). But not if you want to get some sleep; be aware that the beat goes on until 2am. Bottom line: This is not the place to get a good night's sleep.

Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank chucktodd75

Hi Chucktodd75,

Thank you for your feedback. We have different club shows and music selection each night. We try to be as transparent as possible about our noisy rooms before and during check in. We also try to assign rooms as far away from the night club as possible. I apologize this caused an inconvenience for you. I hope you find a quieter stay next time you are in town.