“The amazing and dedicated mixology-master of Hotel Congress” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Historic Hotel Congress

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #52 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“The amazing and dedicated mixology-master of Hotel Congress”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have been to Hotel Congress several times and Barbara has not only been unfailingly gracious to me ever time I've been in there. On one particular occasion, when she asked me how I liked her Cosmo, I did admit that it was too sweet for my taste. The next drink was PERFECT. We ended up having a great conversation about the differences in various drinks, and I had myself a great time. Even when it's been at its busiest, Barb has gone out of her way, even backed up five deep at the bar, to catch her customers' eyes and make sure they knew she would be with them as soon as humanly possible.

Barb is part of the heart and spirit not only of Hotel Congress, but the whole downtown scene. If she weren't there, it wouldn't be either the same, or as much fun.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I live in Tucson and hadn't visited Congres in several years because of a bad experience I had with a bartender there. However, thru the urging of some friends I decided to give it a go again this past Monday. Barb was my bartender and I have to say the service was extraordinary!! She makes the BEST lemmon drop martinis!! The music was awesome and we all had the best time! My experience this time by far surpassed the bad experience I have had in the past. I will be returning and bringing my friends with me! I hope Barb is working again because I loved the service with a smile!! Thanks again Congress!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Candy R
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I just spent a week at the Hotel Congress and wish every hotel was this neat. And I mean NEAT! Clean and Hip! I am a normally anxious 45 year old female traveler and I felt very comfortable and safe there. The staff was personal, professional, fun and accommodating. As far as the details go: The rooms have a ceiling fan and a window you can open for fresh air. All the rooms are on the second floor reached from a grand staircase, so there's no waiting for or riding on elevators. I loved the quality old fashioned furnishings and found the bed to be very comfortable. There are a few bottles of free water in your room when you arrive and between the wonderful Cup Cafe, the Tap Room and the lobby bar, you can always get any food or drink you may need. It felt like a bed and breakfast but with privacy. If you want a "luxury" hotel with stupid television, mass produced decor and overdone bedding than this is not the hotel for you, but if you like eclectic and efficient comfort then you won't find better!

Room Tip: Call ahead and talk to the staff to select a room that is best for you.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank marie c
Tucson, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

In the month of January, My friend and I went to Hotel Congress on a Thursday night. I never had a negative experience at this location until this one night. A particular bartender, Barabra, gave me the most disrespectful, stubborn, rude, customer service ever! Never in my 24 years of life I've ever experienced that.

When I first arrived, I ordered myself a $7 dollar drink. Later that night, my friend asked me to order her a drink, so then she gave me the money for her order. I went to the same bartender, barbara. She noticed my presents because I was clearly in her view. There were two orders before me so I patiently waited until i realzed she started picking up other people orders who arrived after me. I started to think she wasn't realizing my presents, so i made a gesture and continued waiting. A lady came up by my side who was about to say her order until i immediatly interupted her and said " wait, i have been waiting for you( barbara) to take my order." Finally, barbara awknowledge me with a comment " i know your waiting, i'll evetually get to you." Then she proceeded to take the lady order. This young lady didn't understand why she(barbara) was treating me like this and offered to order my drink. I declined and decided to talk to management, however, the owner was busy.

Her actions and words killed my night, and my motivation to hang out there anymore. She treated me like crap, and with no sense of equality. My friend assumed it was because I didn't leave a tip for her.

This made me think, even though i didn't leave a tip for Barbara that night, she should know better that she REPRESENTS Hotel Congress and CUSTOMER SERVICE should be priority, unfortunatly not. I would not want to have someone work in my business who lost the genuine value of hospitality.

The owner of hotel congress responded to my voicemail the next day, he just apologized, would handle the sitution with Barbara internally and felt the need to "make-it-up." However, I declined his "make-it-up" offer because I just felt there was no need to fix what was damaged.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blanka_12
Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed one night at the Hotel Congress two months ago and will never stay there again. My company had booked their holiday party there. After the party was over, the staff would not let me or my colleagues use the restroom off the cafe....they said "Party's over, leave" The rooms were small and antiquated...that maybe what some people are looking for but not me. No TV and no shower...only a bath. The no alcohol in the room policy is a farce. I received a bottle of wine and bottle of liquor as holiday presents at the party. Hotel employees saw the bottles in my room and confiscated them. They would not let me watch as they disposed of the alcohol...I believe they took it home for themselves. As for the pours in the hotel bar, they might be the worst ever. For the price you pay, you don't even get an ounce of alcohol. Finally, hotel employees were smoking dope near the dumbsters at the rear of the hotel. Never again

Room Tip: Don't take a room above the nightclub
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lizzy F
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear LizzyF,

Thank you for your feedback. Your experience described is very disappointing to us. We are looking into this situation and are discussing with staff and management ways to better serve our clientele. Clearly we had a breakdown in communicating to you exactly what liquor law dictates to us, what house rules were being enforced and how we balance this with basic guest experience. I can only tell you that we agree that this wasn’t handled correctly, and we are sorry. You are also correct that our rooms are from another era, but we actually pride ourselves on this. No question, this is not for everyone, but I feel confidant to say that if you had a great time that evening you might have regarded them differently. We are very sorry you had this experience and we are working hard to correct it.

Dara Oseran