“superficially spiffy with skeletal staff”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
New York City, New York
“superficially spiffy with skeletal staff”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

While this hotel is charming and well appointed on its surface, the impression lacks substance. The heating system in our room was failing, so we called the front desk at about 10 PM. There was no "engineer" or technician available to diagnose or repair the problem. While it was chilly but quite bearable, by midnight the heat failed entirely, and we could not sleep for freezing. I tried to adjust knobs and they simply fell off! When we informed the desk the following morning, they made no attempt to reimburse us or offer any compensation for a sleepless, painful night, until I asked.Then they gave us vouchers for a free breakfast, which failed because there was only one( very nice) waiter on duty on a crowded holiday. After a long wait we had to leave before being served, or we would have been late to my daughter's new student orientation at Brown University. Because of its poor equipment and staffing, this hotel lost our business for the next four years.

Room Tip: Make sure the heat works!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ek59
HotelProv, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience that you encountered during your stay with us. There is an engineer scheduled, or on-call, 24 hours at day at the hotel, so I'm not sure why you were unable to receive service to your guest room. I thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and can assure you that I will be addressing this matter with my team. One of our many goals is the comfort and satisfaction of all of our guests. I sincerely hope that you will explore this site and see the many posts from satisfied guests that we have had the privilege of serving, and that you will consider Hotel Providence again when you return to Providence.

Warm Regards,
Tom Fitzgibbons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Wow! From the start of our stay everything was great. We had an amazing sleep on the mattresses, which I later emailed to inquire about so I could buy one for home. Beaiutiful decorated room. Great chowder and room service from Aspire, the in house restaurant. It was close to all the nice downtown shops and great walking.
But what has again top this place off was months later when I discovered a visa charge I wasn't notified about it was refunded with no arguments. It is nice to recieve such great customer service which makes you want to take the time to write a good review and return again.
Definite recommendation for staying here! you wont regret

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
New York City
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while visiting our son at Brown University. I had purchased a groupon for a junior suite but, when I called, Roy at the front desk told me that they only had a queen room available. Roy apologized and said that he'd add parking for free and promised to try to find a suite for me. Indeed, when we arrived, we were given a lovely suite, complete with a bottle of champagne chilling on the table of the living room. The suite was well furnished, elegant but comfortable. There is a sofa bed and, if you are visiting with a child to check out one of the colleges, there is plenty of room for three or even four. We stayed for two nights and breakfasted both mornings in the hotel's Aspire Restaurant, which was a wonderful way to start the day -- service, food and setting all first rate. We liked it so much, we invited our son and his girlfriend to join us -- the hotel is only about a fifteen minute walk from the Brown campus, though we took advantage of the efficient valet parking and drove to Brown, which is UP hill. The campus is only a few minutes away by car. Though my wife and I were there to see our son, we also enjoyed a romantic weekend at the Hotel Providence.
The difference between a good hotel and a great one isn't just the decor or the amenities, it is the people who work there and the staff at the Hotel Providence were always a pleasure to deal with -- Roy was a stand-out for us but everyone was cheerful and helpful and dedicated to doing their job well. We certainly hope to be back!

If you are visiting Brown, there seems to be ample unmetered parking but it is usually limited to a couple hours or so. You may have to move your car, but that is easy to do. The area around Brown is filled with lovely old houses, including the John Brown House museum. I recommend taking a stroll along Benefit, which is a charming street, to Wickenden where there are fun shops and restaurants. Also, check out the view of Providence from the Prospect Terrace off Congdon Street, west of the Pembroke campus. While we were visiting, we went to the Cable Car Cinema, an art house theater downhill from Brown, where, in addition to the usual seats, you can snuggle into couches.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank APerlman
Canandaigua, New York, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this property on hotels.com about two hours before we arrived. The front desk staff were friendly and fast. Valet parking was great and our car was returned quickly when we were ready for it. The room itself (207) was clean, very well maintained and super quiet. Nice hotel, close to the mall, good restaurants and arts scene. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 207 opened up to some sort of alley, but it was very quiet, which was nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
cape cod
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had read all the reviews before deciding to stay at the Hotel Providence. The review where it was written that "first of all there are no really deluxe hotels in Providence" made me hesitate for a minute. But we booked the reservation and we were thrilled we did. We had a wonderful Valentine's Day night. Of course, walking to the musical was so close that we were even happier not to have to pay for more transportation.
Thank you to the staff. Everyone was courteous and very professional. Our room was wonderful. Thank you again and we will be recommending your establishment!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple