“Perfect Dinner in Providence”

Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 828 Restaurants in Providence
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, View, Child-friendly
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.
Reviewed 18 September 2017

This was our first trip to Providence and chose Hemenway's for our special dinner. Perfect choice. Set overlooking Providence River and next to Memorial Park the restaurant has an upscale contemporary ambiance without feeling pretentious. The service was attentive and amiable without being overly formal or familiar.

Following cocktails and splitting a crab and lobster cake appetizer we had the four pick of the day raw oyster selections, lobster, and paella for dinner. All of which were delicious. But I must confess I enjoyed the raw oysters the most. Our only regret was we didn't have room for dessert. If we lived in the area I'm sure we would be frequent diners at this lovely restaurant.

Tobey S, General Manager at Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Tom,
Thank you for the very kind review and we are glad we could be part of your trip to Providence. I'm glad you enjoyed everything too, although I wish you had left room for some of our desserts - they are always a treat. We hope you can come back to our great city again and join us for more.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful lunch on a sunny Saturday. My friend and I were out and about exploring downtown Providence and decided to stop in for lunch.

We had a great table - overlooking the river and our servers were excellent. The menu have a great selection of items - especially some not to be missed seafood.

I selected a starter of the New England Clam Chowder that was the best I've had the pleasure to eat.

My entree was the baked cod served over very flavorful quinoa. The Cod was perfectly prepared and delicious.

This is a great spot for delicious, well prepared food.

Tobey S, General Manager at Hemenway's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear Floydova,
Thank you for the very nice review and I am so happy you enjoyed. We like when guests find us as they are exploring our great city. Glad you enjoyed everything and happy to know our chowder was among the best. Hope you can come back again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Lovely place to dine. Seafood is superb. Scallops wrapped in bacon and the swordfish are my favorites. Best mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts anywhere!

Thank you Christine! We appreciate the five-star rating. So glad you enjoyed everything too! We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

First and foremost, thank you Michael. Host/servers like you are what make dining experiences memorable.

We arrived for our first day in Rhode Island as part of our New England pilgrimage and were looking for a seafood dining experience. We found Hemenway's by googling crab legs- the next two hours were spent in the company of good food, good drink and Michael's company. This is what the travel experience is about; having local hosts share their city and their love of food with you.

Hemenway's is located lovingly on the river- it has an upscale ambiance and menu. The views are spectacular, the table service is comfortable and everything is five star. Prices are reasonable for the quality of food, service and drink- we had two starters, main courses, and shared a dessert along with cocktails, a dinner wine as well as two dessert wines.

It was one of our best dining experiences this far on our New England trek.

Thanks Michael.

Dear Brenda,
Thank you for the kind review and sharing your experience with us. We are happy you found us on your pilgrimage to New England (and it's good to know we pop up when you Google crab legs). I am especially pleased to hear that Michael was able to make your experience better. We know the value of excellent hospitality and we are lucky to have team members like Michael that work so hard to make it happen. I will be sure to thank him personally. We hope you can come back and join us again if you are ever back in Providence.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

It was my first time there. Before, I got through the 2nd door to speak with the host I was already being greeted with a smile through the glass. The place was spotless and the atmosphere was wonderful. I have had good servers in other restaurants but Louise took the cake. She was gracious, attentive, and had a respectable amount of interaction with the table conversation. She made all of us feel welcomed and comfortable. Always came to the table with a smile and made sure all of our wants and needs were met. Our party had stepped out for some air as it was a beautiful night. When we returned we had all new place settings, etc. The food, were do I begin. The bread and Oysters were absolutely fresh. I ordered the surf and turf with asparagus. I didn't want the stuffed lobster so ordered the regular one. I have never had a lobster with so much flavor that you really didn't need butter. The lobster, filet mignon was succulent and the asparagus was just as good. At the end of our dinner we were served plates that had damp hand towels for our hands,etc. If you love quality Seafood/food and exceptional service then I highly recommend you go to Hemenway's in downtown Providence and ask for Louise.

Dear bgonzalez2017,
What a very kind review! Thank you! I'm so glad you and your party enjoyed your visit here. I'm also glad that Louise made your experience even better - she is a valuable asset to our company. I will be sure to thank her personally for making a difference. We hope you can come back again and thank you for recommending us!