“A great 2 hour ride on "Elmer"!”

National Park Gateway Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Saddle up with our horses and guide as we ride through the scenic trails and meadows in the Colorado Rockies. We offer a range of tours from a two-hour ride which includes beautiful points of interest like Fall River, Hidden Meadow and the enchanting Horseshoe Park. Along with four and six-hour tours, we also offer a full-day experience for the most adventurous spirits that explores the Roaring River, Ypsilon Lake and the historic Lawn Lake. Bring snacks and water for the ride, or join us for our Dinner Ride which includes a ride through Rocky Mountain National Park and a dinner at the Trailhead Restaurant. As part of a family business with over 40 years of experience, we pride ourselves on the care and love we have for our horses, these mountains and your safety and experience. Join us soon for a unique western adventure soon!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great 2 hour ride on "Elmer"!”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I purchased a Groupon deal for a 2 hour ride and had the choice to go here or to the Cowpoke stables in Estes Park. Originally I had booked at Cowpoke, based on reviewers describing that ride as being more mountainous with better views, and it was on the side of town I was staying my first three days of a one week trip to Estes Park. (Some reviews coined the National Park Gateway Stables ride as being mostly a flat meadow ride).

As it went, due to inclement weather I opted to reschedule for a different day, and since the second part of the trip had my lodging location being the Della Terra Chateau (nephew's wedding ;), when I saw that the National Park Gateway Stables were right across the street from The Della, I booked my ride for that location, thinking "Ok, this ride won't be all that exciting through flat meadows, but the location is so convenient."

Flat Meadows? Well, I beg to differ! Yes, I am an inexperienced rider, but this as NOT a totally flat-meadow ride. There were gradual, rocky inclines/declines, some winding through the trees and some with vast open views to the mountains. It was adventurous enough for me :)

And my horse, dear 'ol Elmer, navigated each turn and variation of the terrain like a champ (and I thanked him for that! :)

The folks at the stable, and the guide, were friendly and informative and of course the guide was so kind to stop at one point on the ride and take photos of each rider on their respective cameras. Great shot of the mountains as the backdrop, and if you look closely enough you can see the two young elk in the background!

5 Thank Katzy6

Estes Park
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I have always loved these stables and the rides they offer.”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Another great trip to the National Park Gateway Stables. I have been going there since I was a young child. Our most recent trip was with one of my own children. The wranglers were all quite friendly and engaging. Quality staff and horses. We will be back again and again. The ride options into the park are really exceptional.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank estesparkwinecompany
Dubuque, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great 2 hr. ride through the park!”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My wife and i decided to spend the last day in RMNP viewing the mountains from horseback. This stables has very well cared for, and obedient horses. Caroline, our guide was knowledgeable and friendly. Two hours is not long enough to really enjoy the beauty of the park.

1 Thank sturgisfxb
Colorado Springs, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“AWESoME trip!!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We rode with National Gateway this past weekend and couldn't have asked for a better way to start our Labor Day weekend! Kelsey was our guide and she did a fantastic job, especially with our 6 and 7 year old daughters. VERY kid friendly! We saw a coyote on the trail, along with some great views of the RMNP. We are already planning to try the 4 hour ride next summer! Highly recommended!!

1 Thank poizenivey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awsome view!!!!!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We took the 6 hour ride august 30th our guide was was very good. Went up deer mountain best view ever was a little sore next day but well worth it will do it next time here. If you love horses and want the best this is the place to come well worth the the money!!!!!!

1 Thank Fireman124