All reviews pots and pans rocky mountain national park woods deer cabin rmnp bedroom picnic appliances stove
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I can't add very much to the previous review, except to say that we also have been staying at Machin's nearly every year since 1988. The setting is quiet and secluded, and the other customers, mainly repeat business, are also usually quiet, so it's a very relaxing place to stay, with great views and wildlife outside your window. The cabins are immaculate, and well-equipped in the kitchen for simple cooking. My only (very small) negative remark would be that the furniture in the living room is often quite uncomfortable. However, that is far outweighed by the many positive features of the place. As noted by the previous reviewer, if you stay there at the end of August, Mr. Machin offers two-bedroom cabins for the price of a one-bedroom, which also usually gives you a larger living room and kitchen. We did also discover by accident this year (he doesn't advertise it) that Machin's now offers wi-fi. Some guests may want to totally disconnect during their vacation, but for those who want or need access, this is a nice feature. We will look forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank eastmidwest
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I apologize if this turns into a long review, but I want everyone to understand how great this place is.
I have stayed at Machin's 5 times now over the years with my parents and brother. The first time was in 1988 when I was 6, then again at age 11 (1993), age 12 (1994), age 20 (2002) and age 28 (2010). The first four visits, we stayed in Cottage #2 and it became like our "vacation home". On the last visit, my brother and now had spouses, so with 6 adults, we had to stay in a bigger cabin. But we loved it just as much.
Machin's is not the cheapest lodging in Estes Park, but it has to be among the best. The cottages are all in excellent condition - well maintained and very neat and clean. The furnishings are not new (I think everything in cottage #2 stayed the same all four time I was in it), but they are in good shape. It's obvious that Mr. Machin and his staff care about the property and take care of it well. Mr. Machin himself is extremely kind and helpful and helped steer us toward the right cottage for us on this last visit.
The setting of Machin's cottages can't be beat. It's within park boundaries, and the quiet and solitude are incredible and the scenery is beautiful. There is a trail to the Moraine visitor center, which is a wonderful walk to take early in the morning or in the evening when you want to do something relaxing and enjoyable but not strenuous. And if you want a more strenuous activity, you can make it to the top of Eagle Cliff (the mountain behind the cottages) for incredible views.
The wildlife watching is a great source of entertainment. I've always liked feeding nuts to the chipmunks and birds and filling up the hummingbird feeders on the porch. In the past, we had always visited in August, but this last time we went in early June (Trip Advisor wouldn't let me select a month that far back, so that's why it says I stayed in August). By coming that early, we were able to see the elk graze outside our picture windows as they migrated up to higher land for the season, and we also saw deer, coyotes and fox from within the living room.
I can't imagine a better place to stay in Estes Park and I can't recommend this place highly enough. Over the span of 23 years, it has been consistently good. No matter where else I travel and how many new places I want to see, I always look forward to my next visit to Machin's Cottages in the Pines.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank HeroicPotato
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed in one of the cabins for four nights in September. There was someone in the cabin upstairs from us but we never heard them! We were in a two bedroom cabin but because there were only two of us, the owners closed off one bedroom and charged us as if it were a one bedroom cabin. The cabins have been owned by the same family since their inception in the late 40's. They are extremely clean, the large picture window must have been recently washed. It was spotless. The kitchen was very adequate and the bathroom surprisingly large. The cabins back up to RMNP so it is very quiet, not on the main road. The management told us that most of its customers were repeat patrons. I believe it. We will be too.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple