See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This is the email I sent to Motel 6 corporate customer service regarding this location. I forgot to mention in my email that the graveled area adjacent to the ice machine was completely covered with dog manure! I did not notice it at first when I went to get ice for our cooler but I started to smell it and then saw it. This is the worst and dirtiest lodging I've ever stayed at. DO NOT STAY HERE!
I received a response from corporate in which they apologized. They did not offer a refund but said they'd review corporate standards with the property management.

Dear Motel 6,

My wife and I stayed at the Motel 6 Albuquerque I-40/San Mateo location for one night on June 16, 2017 during our vacation.

Does anyone EVER do surprise inspections of properties? We stayed in room 129 I believe although it may have been 126. The room was billed as a non-smoking room however it REEKED of tobacco. It was like a dirty ashtray.

The table was completely broken but someone, probably housekeeping, had propped the legs under it. It almost fell when my wife place a bag on it. The walks in front of the rooms have not been power washed in a LONG time. There was all manner of soils on it including what looked and smelled like puke.

The bathtub in our room was ATROCIOUS! The faucet was broken and aiming almost upward. I was able to rotate it so that we could at least use the tub/shower. The finish in the tub was completed eroded off. It appeared dirty but it turned out to be merely completely WORN OUT! The mattress had burn holes in it. The door did not fit well and the sidewalk outside could be seen through the space between the door and jamb.

All told, this property is awful and we would NEVER recommend it. We asked for our money back but we wanted to get on the road early and were told that we’d have to wait for the manager to come in at 10:00.

This property is not representing Motel 6 very well at all.

These comments will be posted on Trip Advisor as well.

Thanks for your attention.

Room Tip: To choose a good room at this motel is impossible. Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
6Team, Brand Experience Team at San Mateo Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Henry, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We do accommodate our smoking guests with assigned smoking rooms and are sorry you experienced dissatisfaction with the concerns you describe. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the comfort issues and cleanliness concerns you experienced. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

I try to find the good in everything but the only thing good about this hotel was that it shared a parking lot with Denny's and you received a discount there for being a guest at the hotel. I called to inquire if the hotel had parking for the 26' moving van I was driving with my husband. I was told there was street parking. When I checked in, I was given the key and that was it. The clerk told me where I could park but did not tell me where the ice machine was, the wifi password, or anything else. He told me to park in the parking lot parallel to the fence since we wanted to park near our room. On the other side of the fence was a small park where homeless people slept. All Motel 6's are pet friendly and you could tell with this room. Every other Motel 6 I stayed at had laminate flooring. This hotel had filthy, stained carpeting. I did not even walk on the carpet with my socks. I wore shoes the whole time. The bathroom was equally as bad. The bathtub was permanently dirty with burn stains on the edge of the tub which means either someone smoked in the non-smoking room or it was a smoking room in the past. If my husband and I hadn't driven 14 hours, weren't exhausted, and just unloaded our dogs, I would have asked for a refund and stayed elsewhere. And for being a pet friendly hotel, there is nowhere for you to really take the dogs out to. No grass anywhere on the property and I wasn't going to go to the park I mentioned earlier. If there is a place, once again the clerk at check in did not share this with me. The

I went to the lobby to ask where the ice machine was and to get the wifi password because there was no answer when I called from the room (on my cell phone because there was no phone). I stood there and yelled hello but no one responded. I found the ice machine on my own and finally got someone to answer the phone to give me the wifi password. The wifi never worked. Our computers said they were connected but we could not open any pages.

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Travel Couple, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

First place we stopped. They offer a military discount which was great! Friendly staff. Room was clean but no coffee pot, hair dryer, iron, nothing.. just a place to sleep. Beds were clean and comfortable

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Room was very dirty. Bedding dirty. Daughter got bit by something when she layed on the bedDead bugs on the ground. Appeared to not have been cleaned at all. Attendant wasn't friendly. Only plus, right next to a Dennys where the service was great.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina R
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Average stay. Cheap overnight stay. The room was acceptable. The motel staff was welcoming. The ice machine was hard to locate. The location was maintained but there were a lot of vagrants in the area.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple