“An excellent restaurant that combines Spanish food with New World influences”
Review of Mas - Tapas y Vino

Mas - Tapas y Vino
Reserve with OpenTable
Mas - Tapas y Vino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,920 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic Hotel Andaluz in downtown Albuquerque, MÁS is a full-service restaurant and tapas bar. Inspired by the bold flavors, rich history and exuberance of Spanish cooking, MÁS offers fresh reinventions of traditional Spanish cuisine with an emphasis on locally-sourced foods and high quality imported ingredients and spices.
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Mas is the hotel restaurant for the Hotel Andaluz. We stayed there for three nights in September 2017 and had two dinners, three breakfasts, and one lunch there. The food was just wonderful, especially the dinner menu. It has been a few months since we were there so I can't remember exactly what we ate but it was a combination of seafood and vegetable dishes.

The style was southwestern Spanish with a New World flavor. As the name of the restaurant says, tapas are the main entree. But, these are large compared to the Spanish variety, and much more innovative. The chef has received a number of awards and certainly deserves it. Each dish is complex and beautifully arranged; it was like a design experience. Since this is in New Mexico, of course, chiles are featured in many dishes (the correct spelling in New Mexico is 'chile', not 'chili'). But, they were not overly hot.

We do a bit of Spanish cooking at our home, having been to Spain twice in the last few years. But, we found that the chef was able to take classic Spanish tapas and create unusual combinations that we would never have imagined (e.g., shrimp with chocolate and chile peppers). The breakfasts were good; we ate toast, fruit, and once an omelette. But, it's the dinners that are remarkable.

The restaurant serves more than just the hotel guests. If we lived in Albuquerque, we would come to this restaurant at least once a month. It really is an exceptional restaurant.

1  Thank NL_from_Houston

Reviewed 4 February 2018

The music ,the ambiance, the beauty of the building. It looked too pricey for my pay grade but there are some inexpensive..moderately less expensive choices. Plus they give you full servings not the tiny amuse-Bouche as entrees that I’ve seen at other places. DidnI mention yummmm! The food is great! The hotel is amazing as well. I’m staying here next time.

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 4 February 2018

Housed in the Hotel Andluz is a wonderful restaurant MAS Tapas y Vino. The menu is in 3 sections. First an assortment of mouth watering Tapas. I had the elk with a delightful berry coulee on a bed of mashed potatoes, a Hudson Valley Fois Gras, pan seared on a small square of a savory carrot cake, and lightly fried cubed baby potatoes with a mildly spice aioli sauce. All three were absolutely delicious and I loved the mix of texture and flavor for each selection. The second part of the menu is called Light Plates. For that course I chose grilled artichoke with Spanish goat cheese and it was divine. The third section is the Large Plate course. I did not choose from that as I was too full but my dining companions had the oysters and raved about how good they were. Presentation of each dish was lovely, service excellent. If you book far enough ahead of time you can dine in the booth where Conrad Hilton proceed to Zsa Zsa Gabor! The wine list is an excellent assortment of American, Spanish, South American and European wines.

1  Thank Sam134123
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Service is extremely slow and food (for breakfast, since it's the only meal we ate there) is just so-so. Most of the staff just wander around doing I don't know what. Water and coffee pot sat on a vacant table behind us and we finally got up and took it to our table and served ourselves. On the second morning we foolishly went there again, since we had limited time before leaving for the airport. I wanted only an English muffin and bacon. Granted we had a large party, but the problem, I believe, is that our wait person does not deliver the food (one of the wandering others does the actual delivery) and I didn't get my order. It turns out another member of our party at the other end of the table got my order and didn't realize it wasn't part of their breakfast. You would think the delivery person would have noticed I had nothing before me and asked what I had ordered or if I wanted to order. No quality control at this place

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Lovely place to meet friends. Very accommodating staff. Thoroughly enjoyed our celebratory gathering there!

1  Thank Vicki M