“Best Mussel Entree Ever”

Scalo Northern Italian Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Scalo Northern Italian Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,967 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Carlisle
Description: Located in the heart of Nob Hill on the corner of Carlisle and Central, Scalo offers an atmosphere that is casually elegant and service which is attentive and knowledgeable. Scalo uses locally grown organic produce and offers classic handmade Northern cuisine with a seasonal menu that changes with the harvests.
Reviewed 8 February 2018

This was our first visit to Scalo's. First of all street parking on Central and in the small mall the restaurant is located in is scarce. However, there is a very large free parking lot in the back of the mall a short walk from the front door.
The interior is very upscale with a loft wine bar that is apparently open only for dinner. Our server was very knowledgeable. We ordered the Linguine Bianci (a seafood medley) and the Linguine con Cozze (mussels and pancetta). Bread is served while you wait for you entrée.
The linguine con Cozze entrée had the best flavored mussels I ever tasted. Both dishes were very filling especially for a lunch. We reviewed the dinner menu and it exactly matched (except for sandwiches) the lunch menu in choices and pricing.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We got there early, before a concert. We ordered a special (fish) and the Veal for the male of the couple. Both ended up being spectacular. After some minor screw-ups that were corrected promptly. This has been our favourite for 20 years.

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

Veal scallopine to die for, great drinks and wine. Helpful and thoughtful staff. Highly recommend. If driving, parking is easy in the lot or on a side street.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

On our wedding Anniversary, we enjoyed a delightful dining experience at the SCALO NORTHERN ITALIAN GRILL in Nob Hill. For starters, my lovely wife ordered the Insalata di Cavolo (baby kale, prosciutto, pears, caccio de roma cheese, toasted almonds and lemon vinaigrette), and I ordered the Fritto Misto (calamari, shrimp, lemon aioli, marinara, chili, basil & parsley). Both appetizers were quite delicious, with very tasty dressings – especially my rich & velvety marinara sauce. A minor issue with my Fritto Misto: the menu listed both calamari and shrimp, but my dish only came with calamari, no shrimp. Still tasted great! For entrees, I ordered the Salmon plate (seared salmon, parsnip puree, cress, green beans, basil oil and lemon garlic yogurt), and my wife ordered the Pianuzza (sea bass tonight, roasted fingerling potatoes, escarole, and tapenade) – although, being on a PALEO DIET, she substituted parsnip puree instead of the potatoes - the staff was very accommodating to our dietary needs. Both seafood dishes were absolutely perfectly cooked - tender, flaky and juicy – thoroughly mouth-watering and delectable! Our server Gloria was outstanding, always attentive to our needs. We were seated at a nice romantic table, but tonight was an unusually cold windy January evening, and the cold hit us every time the front door opened – so we just put our coats on. Prices were quite reasonable for such high quality of food, service and atmosphere. Excellent wine and cocktail selections as well. However, our only complaint was that we originally called for reservations at ELAINE’s (lots of Paleo-friendly dishes) – which is co-owned with SCALO’s – both restaurants share the same telephone number for reservations, and the clerk did not bother to tell us *which* restaurant she was sending us to. So we ended up at Scalo’s. Hence only 4 Stars.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

I have eaten at Scalo’s many times! Since the restaurant first opened its doors, they have successfully stayed committed to delivering good service and excellent food. It’s the kind of restaurant you go to to endulce yourself in Albuquerque, and I’m always impressed with the fresh taste of their food.
One of the things that I appreciate when I go to an upscale restaurant is its tables. To me, how impecably a table is set says a lot about the restaurant. Scalo’s does a superb job with their table presentation and setting. I love that! It sort of starts you off on a good note.
The atmosphere is also wonderful, either for lunch or dinner. I prefer to sit downstairs by the window, these are the best tables. Both the hosts and servers have always done an excellent job caring for us. However, the servers could be better trained at times and show more knowledge of the foods and wines they’re serving. Many times, they’re a bit uninformed or lack the knowledge to answer the diner’s questions with confidence or assertiveness.

I’m a pasta lover, so obviously I have ordered many types of pasta here, and the dishes have always been great. Their appetizers are always great and are not to be missed. We like to start with an antipasto so we can munch on something yummy and have a conversation while we wait for our dinner. This is particularly wise when ever the restaurant ins packed. That way, we don’t notice if it takes them a little longer to bring your food to the table.

We also like to come to Scalo’s piano bar, it’s great! There’s usually live music, great food, and a very nice atmosphere to spend a couple of hours in a romantic date or with friends. I highly recommend it.